Minnesota Flyway Forum Sponsors

My View: GOP House plan undermines Legacy, outdoors funding

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by h2ofwlr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Nothing wrong with the parks and trails portion or the arts for that matter. It was this consortium that allowed it to pass.

Bike trails and state parks in MN are nice. Glad they made the investment. There are little towns along some of these bike trails that get a pretty nice economic boost.

h2ofwlr likes this.
  2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I stand corrected.

Per Garry Leaf - started at 1/8%, moved up to 3/8%, with the 3/8% split three ways. Only way that the Dems would move the bill at the time was through a bump for their constituencies.

3. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

I agree that funds should be set aside to maintain any future land acquisitions. Similar to groups that want to raise money to build a hockey rink or swimming pool, hand it over to local government and then let them suffer in managing the losses. A trust fund for maintenance is an excellent idea.

Makes sense to me as well. The counter argument is that sportsmen pay into the general fund already via the balance of the sales tax, so the tax and maintenance portion should come from there.

My observations have been that much of the MN DNR land is relatively poorly managed once you move out of SW MN "flagship" pheasant country. Forests need cutting, prairie needs burning / grazing, wetlands need restoration. Noxious weeds often run rampant on DNR WMAs ... thistle and burning nettle then spill over onto private land. Cedars sprouting across grasslands. Single uni-culture mature forests. More money should be spent on improving what we have now. Heck cutting and grazing should be at worst cost neutral and maybe they even make a dime or two.

Yep - yet we have untold available man hours that could be utilized for the grunt work in the form of volunteers from outdoor orgs, Sentenced to Serve programs, food stamp recipients, welfare recipients, state unemployment recipients - the list goes on. The lack of creativity in government is astounding - but since it isn't their money on the line - why think outside the box?

Rogue Hunter likes this.