My wife thinks I am crazy

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by BMan, Aug 9, 2017.

1. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

I am a month away from what for me will be a trip of a life time - to get ready I have converted 2 acres to an adult kids paradise -

I leave the day after my 50th bday driving to wyoming to Bow Hunt Elk - I got very lucky and was drawn with just 2 points - a few years ago a gentleman came out to buy a dog - he saw me shooting my new bow and said i should come back to his area and he would put me on the elk - I started putting in and figured I would be retired by the time I got drawn - well it didnt take that long - I hit the lottery when they drew my name after they did all of the point draws (8 was the lowest)

I have never shot anything with a bow - I have never shot a bow with anyone that knows what they are doing and continue to just practice - like 2-3 hours a day - if I am not inside I am easy to find - she just goes to the hidden man park and laughs - Inside 30 I am deadly at 40 I am still within a 5 inch group and at 50 a little wider -

I thought about trying to hunt something else first but have decided the first living thing I am going to shoot at with the bow will be an elk - My tag is any elk but I will hold out for a Bull unless time dictates otherwise -

If anyone is looking for a place to practice with their bow hit me up - I could use someone that knows what they are doing to make sure I am not screwing something up when I shoot - I have tuned the bow (I think) changed arrows until I found what works - but there is a level of confidence missing -
    My practice consists of walking around stopping hitting the range finder and shooting - I have 6-7 different targets a couple of 3d and the rest big blocks - I can shoot out to 70-80 yards if I want but most are 50 or less -

My biggest fear is missing and having to drive home with the wife - I told her if that happens she may be put on a plane and I will be driving home by myself - I am glad she accepted my invitation to tag along - but dam that would be an awful long drive home if the ice chests arent full -

2. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Your wife doesn't think you are crazy, she knows you are. If there is any question about it, just ask her.

3. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on the tag. Archery bull elk is on my bucket list.

Practice, Breath and Breath some more then squeeze. Good luck.

4. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

Concentrate on your grip and anchor point!!!!!!!! Memorize how your grip feels and where your fingers and palm are placed. Memorize your anchor points, where your draw hand rests, if your nose, cheek, or lips touch the string and where. Be consistent on how you balance your bow before aiming. This will help relieve some of the inconsistencies from "torque" that gets put onto the bow, affecting arrow flight, even though your sight seems to be perfectly on target. I have a very short routine that I follow before every shot In which I go through a checklist to make sure everything is consistent. This is what has brought my grouping in very tight.

Then start shooting out as far as your pins allow. Not that you will be trying to take an animal out that far but practicing at long ranges forces steadiness in your shot. If you can learn to hit basket balls at 70 you will be hitting softballs at 40.....

Nothing can really prepare you for what mental stress you might experience when an animal gets within range and how that will manifest physically at the shot, but having a routine and building muscle memory will certainly help alot.

Good Luck! post pics!

Buttesmacker likes this.
  5. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

I admit I am a little concerned about my pulse rate if and when the chance comes to release an arrow - we will be at about 8000 feet so the last few weeks are going to be spent getting in better shape -

freefall likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Run to each of your practice targets and do 10 burpies, shoot 3 arrows and repeat.
    Do that for a few weeks and you will learn to control your pulse rate and breathing.
    Congratulations on the draw, hope you get your animal of a lifetime. :tu:tu:tu

Buttesmacker and Winchester 1897 like this.
  7. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Pretty hard to not loose it with a big bull bugling 50 yards from you.
    You will be fine!

8. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

I will say that after your hunt you will be hooked for life. I was! I had to sit down after I called in and missed my first bull. I thought I might have a heart attack.

9. Jabird

Jabird Senior Refuge Member

Perfect practice makes perfect. Muscle memory will make up for a lot of the mental/physical stresses you endure during the hunt.

Kudos to you for not taking the opportunity lightly and preparing the best you can!

freefall likes this.
  10. DMC

DMC Elite Refuge Member

Stop shooting close for now. Not saying don't shoot close but only a couple shots. Go back as far as you can and try and shoot groups. The farther you are away the more your form failures will show. After your groups start tightening up then start shooting one shot from say 40 -80 for a group. Then start shooting from a kneeling position. Lots of guys don't practice this and it can burn you. Chances are a bull screams and you duck into or next to some cover he walks up and your on a knee. Good to know both forms

Assuming your bow is in tune you are going to be good to go. If your arrows have any noticeable wobble you need to fix it now. Shoot your broad head at say 40 yds if its not hitting were your field points do you probably have an out of tune or time bow. Fix it sooner than later.

When you get there just remember to focus on the spot like a laser and everything will go were it needs to.

Good Luck and we want lots of pics.

Dan Mallia and mark seaters like this.