My wife thinks I am crazy

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by BMan, Aug 9, 2017.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

2. J-Duck

J-Duck Elite Refuge Member

i talked to B PICS to come

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My duck hunting partner is leaving tomorrow for Wyoming and a two week (if necessary) archery elk hunt. He's been looking forward to this trip for a long time. He regularly goes to WY for antelope.

4. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

Great trip - I had to cut it short as I had family obligations both before and after - I did get in two days of hunting - afternoons - none of the hike 16 miles in and then chase around until you corner one - it actually felt too easy - The guys taking me knew the area - and well - we walked out of a public camp ground at 4 pm - by 5 I had two bulls already within range - the first came out with the first bugle - he was a 4x4 and came in to 40 yards but I passed - told them 5x5 or better first day - suddenly a larger bull comes in and at 35 yards didnt offer a shot - small window through branches - I drew but didnt shoot - again this is the first hour of my hunt - we talked about it laughed and went on - an hour later I spot a couple of cows - we call they come running - a spike comes with them - they are standing at 30 yards when they all look over their shoulder and here he comes - a MONSTER 330+ bull it didnt work out -
    Next afternoon we go to another spot - walk in about 2 miles to a meadow - agaion public land - easy walking on a road but no tracks - never saw a hunter either day - only hunters I saw were at the bar or driving around? As we get close we hear a couple of bulls bugling at each other - one has a deep low tone the other a little higher - because they were so vocal we were able to get in tight to set up - maybe 150 yards away max - probably less - I sit down and get ready my host was filming and ranging for me while the caller backed up 20-30 yards - he bugles once and here comes the big one we wanted - straight to the call but the whole time he is quartering to me - I wait - draw on him at 20 yards - but I still didnt like the angle - so he gets to about 10 yards and bugles at the caller - loud as hell - I figure at this point I have the amgle even though I had to thread the needle between a dead tree and some brush - I let it fly and it is perfect - Both lungs - bull didnt make it 50 yards - I am nocking a second arrow but the host says no need he is done - I look over and he is on the ground flopping - When we were quartering we got the arrow =- lost about 8 inches - it went through took out the lungs and stopped from exiting only by the hide - Not too shabby for my first bull - We estimated it scorinhg at 290 - should easily get me in the Pope and Young book since you only need a 260 for archery................ pics in a few - been a while may have to figure out to get them to post

5. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

6. Icastnblast

Icastnblast Elite Refuge Member

Very Nice!

7. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing, and a huge congrats.

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Outstanding!!!

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

2 half day afternoon hunts and wind up with that. Nice going and your host did his homework. Great job and way to make nice shot.

BMan likes this.
  10. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Amazing me friend.....your story was filled with excitement...(thanks for the read) I'm happy your hard work paid off in a big way...:bow:bow:bow

What to trade some salmon steaks for some elk steaks..;):l:l