N.R.A. - again...

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by olepal, Jan 12, 2009.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

I realize that I will get clobberd for this and I know "The Other David" will throw things at me, however, here goes.
    About 5 years ago I joined NRA after about 20 years absence. Over the following 12 months, the only thing I got was a mailbox and email box full of requests for more money and no responses to my letters and emails, so I did not renew. I made a couple of comments about Wayne LaPierre's salary and world wide travels here on the Refuge and got hammered for it.
    Agreeing with most everyone that we need to be involved, last November I joined again. Got my decals and membership card in the mail, along with a pile of forms wanting me to renew now, make contributions, etc., etc.
    As of today, I have still not received the promised cap, nor a response to my emails to member services, so I called member services and am told that my cap was ORDERED today. Comes 3rd class mail so no way to know when it will get here.
    Now, this is not about a cap. It is about an organization that spends a fortune trying to attract new members, then doesn't take care of them.
    I will continue my membership, but the NRA could do better with regard to it's membership.

olepal

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

olepal,

Hey, I'm not going to beat up on you, I am going to agree with you!

I called or emailed (can't remember which) several years ago and asked them to quit sending me solicitations for money. They said OK and largely quit. Every once in a while something slips thru and I put it straight into the recycle bin.

Keep bugging them until they get the message!

David

3. blackdux

blackdux Senior Refuge Member

just joined as lifetime member

4. The Other David

blackdux,

Good for you! I did it about 15 years ago, for my son too, when he was about 10.

Be sure to tell them to stop mailing you more requests for money!

David

5. ganderkillr13

ganderkillr13 Senior Refuge Member

They are a major pest but you do get a surprise once in a while. Most I just toss other than the gun raffles. I send them some $$ with my entry. With the election year I did send some $$ to the ILA arm. Got a very nice straight blade knife w/sheath in the mail to say thanks. Second knife I have got from them over many years. If the quality of this knife is as good as the other one I still have I am very happy.

PS I think that DU is becoming just as bad with constant mailings asking for $$. Just toss them all in the trash and forget it.

6. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Joined in November. 3 emails and 2 phone calls with no response at all from NRA. Not even the pretty baseball cap that was promised.
    Joined DU (at least sent in the dues) over a month ago. Not one word yet. Oh well, at least they aren't hounding me for more money.

olepal

7. Spanky03

Spanky03 Elite Refuge Member

I don't mind someone asking me for money when it comes to my firearm rights, especially in the mail, I can just shredd it. But, every now and then I'd like to know what the money is being spent on. I am just curious, is there enough money for the lawyers or is it going into others pockets.

8. The Other David

look at their results. More in the wins column than in the lose column. Are they effective: yes. Are they efficient: I don't know.

If you know a more effective or efficient organization then join them! We're all on the same team!

9. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

I know what you are saying. I am a DU committee member. i go to several diff. DU banquets every year just to see what they do diff. End up w/3 or 4 DU memberships. Get renewal notices etc. Luckily I know who to call to stop them from wasting the ducks money...

10. dukxdog

dukxdog Senior Refuge Member

I joined NRA as a life member back in 1979. Last year I got my Endowment member status and signed up 6 Life members.This year I sent in for my Patron membership and recently upgraded to Benefactor. I get NRA literature and money requests every month. Almost every month I donate something like $20-50 to NRA. You know what...I feel like I get my money's worth. I love my guns and I hunt a lot. I would not enjoy my life nearly as much if I couldn't shoot paper, clays, ducks, birds and big game. I love my freedoms. I feel that without NRA(or GOA) we all would think back and wish we hadn't been so selfish and donated at least a little money to help us keep our Second Amendment rights.
    I hope you all get your HATS:tu I'm wearing mine...and proud of it!
    [​IMG]