NAFTA & Arkansas

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by bullpinnie, Jun 1, 2017.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I got this in the mail today....on account of me being a slum lord in Arkansas

Dear Arkansas Business Owner,

The United States government began the process to modernize the NAFTA agreement with Canada and Mexico, Arkansas’s top 2 export partners. We want Arkansas businesses to be heard and your needs to be reflected in the new version of the NAFTA agreement.

We are keenly aware that small and medium-sized Arkansas businesses have significantly benefitted from the unique Arkansas trade surplus with both NAFTA partners. As a result, the World Trade Center Arkansas and the Arkansas District Export Council prepared a survey to collect your comments to make NAFTA easier, less costly, and more efficient.

Your requests and comments as an Arkansas business are urgently needed and will be directly submitted to the United States Trade Representative (USTR) so they are taken into consideration during the review process. Please, click here to fill out this 5-minute survey with your comments to make NAFTA what your Arkansas business needs. We need your urgent response by this Friday June 2nd.

Sincerely,

Melvin Torres

Director of Americas Trade

World Trade Center Arkansas

I didn't realize that NAFTA benefitted Arkansas so much.

What do y'all think?

2. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I think it is a load of BS! Who and what (sector) & (technologies) are the small to medium business that have befitted from this?

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

was thinking the same thing, but can only guess ag.

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Hmmm. Doesn't that one company that has its own subculture of people we all find amusing have its base in our Kansas and maybe benefits from it....what is that name......

Or could be a "hey dumb white people help me support Mexico". But what does the google know?

http://arwtc.org/staff/melvin-torres/

"Ein going fisheng en Arkansaw heffe "

5. CookMan

NAFTA was a CLINTON initiative. It was a scam then and is now. It really benefited Mexico and large America Corporations. Now that the sourcing business has changed in North America "$$" it is a bad ideal financially now and then for the USA! Follow the money!!!

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Ag and livestock are the two industries that benefitted most from NAFTA. We export a lot of produce and meat to Mexico, and NAFTA removed pre-existing tariffs on imports-exports between Mexico and the US. So I believe you are correct in your assumption bullpinnie.

Oh, and yes Clinton signed it into law, but NAFTA was the brainchild of Bush.

7. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

8. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

I was involved in NAFTA. I was a 30 something working to get our products into the plants that had moved from small town America to Mexico. We followed the plants that went South and set up our systems in the Maquiladoras. I worked down there for six years. Nothing has changed and it's only gotten worse. Everything is done under the table and you'll get your throat cut so to speak over a nickel. What a sick, corrupt place to do business. It smelled like a dirty tampon the first time I went there and the last time I was there, six months ago, it smelled like a dirty tampon. I detest going to Mexico. Outsource Congress to NAFTA.

9. CookMan

I have dealt with this crap since 1985 Asia electronic components and 1995 in the electronics manufacturing business with Mexico and Asia. Been around the earth and seen it all. I have dealt with it all! Nothing surprises me anymore, nothing as all..:rolleyes:

10. rubline

rubline New Member

Ahh yes, NAFTA.. folks should have listen to old ross perot.
    Little story about this. The day that old billy boy signed this, my boss at the time and I were discussing the something like 22 consecutive double digit million monthly profit of one of the divisions and overall great numbers on profit sharing and roa numbers. Now,this guy(boss) is a rhodes scholar,his dad was a fed bank president at one time,had pictures of senators and ceo's on hunting trips all over the world in his office.
    He says to me,which at the time he said this i thought it couldnt take much to get that scholar.,Just imagine what those numbers would look like if we didnt have to pay the employees. I give him a look and ask How would that even be possible thats the craziest thing ive ever heard. He says, you did hear nafta was signed today right? Yes.. He says just watch over the next couple years....