National Holiday

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Today is the best day of the year for me. Opening of Waterfowl Season.
    Sat's are my day to work the hut, but the wife will be covering.

Coffee is made. Last pack of duck was cooked up yesterday, and the strips are soaking in a plastic bag of salsa. Coffee is made, truck is packed, dog has been aired out and having breakfast. Time to go. 90% chance of rain, so umbrella is in the decoy bag.

Hope all my MT friends have a great shoot.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Umbrella??........hand over your man card please. Lol. I'm doing the same thing. Finishing up coffee here at 6 am. Legal shooting is at 7:15. I'll be kayaking into a little hole on the edge of Reader Lake, hoping that there are a few hunters moving around on the big lake, and I'll get some shooting in my "hidden" spot, about 1/2 mile from the boat launch.

Good luck and have a safe season. W.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I won't rag on ya 'bout the umbrella. Let us know the results when you get back in.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Didn't know your season started so early. I will be shooting season openers the next three consecutive Saturdays: Southern Oregon, Northern California, North Idaho. If I'd a known I could have made it four in a row I mighta' driven your way :l!

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Good luck.

Ignore the commie from the north. ;)

49 more days for us.....

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, laugh if you want. This is the opener, which means I had to be there 2 hours before LST. Set up the lanterns, wolf traps, pungi sticks, claymores, etc. They were calling for 1/2" of rain. Yea, I 'could' sit in my 15 year old Cabelas Gortex jacket, but, why? It is my Dad's umbrella, old school camo.

And, as it turns out, didn't need it. They called for the rain to start at 0830 (yea, like we trust weather services!!!) :fp It started at 0820. Who woulda thunk it. It was light tho.

The ammo manufactures have to LOVE opening day. War zone. Lots of teal this year, small flocks, which seriously contributed to the missing. Not that there was any lack of that. Some birds were so high, they didn't even flare when shot at. Being old, I have learned to just smile, and watch my decoys. Oh, and watch the Black Cloud and Hevi-Metal hulls go floating down the river. I guess those are the best for the really long shots. :doh

LST was about 0700. First shots I heard were only 2 minutes early, so not bad. Lots of cloud cover, no moon, it was REALLY dark. I wasn't ready to shoot for about 15 minutes. I was done at 10. Mostly singles and pairs. Missed two birds with both barrels, otherwise I was clean. Last shot was as I was watching the guys who had been downriver of me, having picked up, try to sneak on my set. They dropped their bags, hunched over in the sage, working up the bank. I just kept twitching my jerk string. I was 150 yards away from them all morning, did they NOT know that was my set? :confused:

As I was watching them, trying to decide when to stand up and walk out of my blind (have I every mentioned, that besides being in the right place, staying hidden is key? If they couldn't see me, knowing I was in the area, pretty sure the birds didn't) here comes a single widgeon, banks over the dekes, and I raise up and drop him. Then the 'sneakers' stood up, talked for a moment, and left. :l
    3 Widgeon, 2 Spoonbills, 1 Pintail, 1 GW Teal.

7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Cool.

But for sport you should have said 2 pintails and watched the California forum erupt.

8. Native NV Ducker

Crossed my mind when I dropped the first one.

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Nice report. I get tickled at folks trying to sneak my decoys. We were set up once on an island and utilized the large trees that had drifted up on the bank during high water. A group of anything goes hunters came tromping through the woods sounding like a cow stampede. Even when I stood and talked to them, they couldn't locate me. They just kinda shrugged their shoulders and went back the way they came.
    We have to wait 'til the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
    By the way, do you leave the pungi sticks out all season or pick them up after each hunt.

10. Native NV Ducker

I am old, and forgetful. I pick them up. Takes more time, but saves on DR bills. The claymores I leave out. I put up red tracking tags in the area. I know what they mean, but the other hunters don't. Besides, the ones I acquired are so old, I don't like jostling them very much.