National Holiday

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Sep 30, 2017.

1. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

We were up river from Native about 3-4 miles and had accessed from a piece of private ground owned by a family friend. Closest other Hunter was 2 miles away. I had LST at 7:04 in my mind, first shots I heard up towards Native at 7:00. Still very dark until well after legal. Love hearing the elk bugle while waiting for light.
    Brought my 4 yr old son, 16 yr old daughter and a buddy. The boy had a blast, as there were plenty of birds flying around to keep us on our toes. Had him bundled up in his snow pants and winter coat and his muck boots, but still had a hard time keeping him out of the water. By the end of the day everything he saw flying was a duck. We were hunkered under a big Willow bush so the drizzly rain didn't bother us.
    The daughter has become quite the duck hunter, she put out half the deek set with zero guidance from me, chased the three we sailed across the river with the dog, doubled twice, and only claimed one of the birds that I thought I killed, ha ha. Then she went out and picked up all the deeks! Next year I won't even have to wear waders!:grvn

Allot of sprig around, had to be careful after the first 30 minutes as we were done on those. Beat up on the teal, only one widge, a hen mallard, and a lone boot lip that committed suicide diving into the spread.
    Great morning, three limits, home having lunch around 12:30. Wife made Sweet & Sour duck and fried rice for dinner. Hope everyone else had a good day!
    Antelope next weekend...

2. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

I'll be headin thru on my way to eastern Montana for my annual swan , duck and crane hunt. PM me directions to your coffee hut and I'll swing by for a cup on my way thru. Mike

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Probably off the beaten path for you. Darby, MT. North edge of town, in front of the (only) grocery store. I only work weekends.

4. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

We spent the morning watching geese pour into a field 1/2 mile away from us. We knew they had changed their pattern but the fields they started using we couldn't get permission to hunt. We tried to set up to run traffic but none of them paid attention to us.

On the bright side, my 5 yr old son and my friend's 2 boys(6 yrs and 4 yrs) had a blast cramming into one layout blind for the hunt. In between groups they ran around the decoys, drank hot chocolate and blew calls as loud as could. It was a bummer not shooting anything but it was great family/friend time.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Went today, to see how many were left in the valley after Armageddon. Not many. Should have had a limit, but shot poorly. Got a BW teal. Pretty rare for me to run into one of those. 4 birds.

6. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

Much white stuff on the ground? I wondered if it would be any good.

7. Native NV Ducker

Ya know, it was a classic duck hunting day. 2" over the pass. Built up so much snow in the wheel wells, truck scared me, the noise coming as I turned to sign in.
    1" in the valley. Very light snow, and I could see a few stars through the overcast. Light wind out of the N.
    When I left, it was pretty much all gone, dry roads.
    I should have done better. Too far into the cover to see birds. I had a flock of about 15-20 Widg buzz me twice, inside 20 yards. Never saw em till they were past. Several other singles did the same. Not a lot of birds, but, if I had the same number come into range where I could have seen them coming, easy limit.

igo4dux75 likes this.