Natural wings on decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by jjseman, Dec 26, 2017.

1. jjseman

jjseman Senior Refuge Member

Just a random question that popped into my head, have any of you guys tried attaching natural wings to your decoys? A lot has been said for the bird's ability to see light on the U.V. spectrum and those bright blue patches on a mallard's wing must serve a purpose in drawing the attention of other ducks. I think it might be a worth while experiment. I wouldn't go full stuffers, just the wings. I thought about how I've seen times where just one or two ducks that are outside of my spread draw in other ducks without doing a thing. You can have a killer looking spread with motion and a good location and they will still go to that single or pair of real birds.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

What spectrum?
    upload_2017-12-26_16-54-4.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-26_16-54-18.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-26_16-54-30.jpeg

Attached Files:

Tuleman, jjseman and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

IMO, 1) you're giving the birds way too much credit for brain power. 2) how many times would old wings last getting wet and still look decent? 3) why would you think just having natural feathers on the wings only look good? I think it would look horrible with old wings attached and the rest of the decoy in plastic.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

A sitting duck's wings look nothing at all like cut-off wings.

Tuleman likes this.
  5. jjseman

jjseman Senior Refuge Member

After seeing the pictures, you’re right. They tuck them in neatly to their bodies. Attached wings would look very different. Thank you for the advice.

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I did it as a kid when I used to hunt black ducks, but I would use like one or two decoys. I do not recall if it added success or not. This was 20 years ago before Avery, fully flocked, etc. I attached them to a Herters 72. Looked decent to me then.

7. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I have seen pictures of them attached to wood decoys so it has been tried before.

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

We used to use outstretched honker wings on shell decoys kinda like todays flyers,not sure how much they helped,we had to kill geese first in order to get a few sets of wings.I know for sure birds didn't flare from them though. To much hassle now.

9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Like your passion jjseman but too many over think things when it comes duck and goose hunting. Like NV Ducker posted. Live birds shine and have different shadows and so do decoys on any given day. Just want too use just the wings? What about the rest of the decoy? Might as well skin your ducks and geese out, have them tanned and then sow them up over your decoys? I'd be more concerned about my hide, how many decoys do I need, how's my set up as a whole, I'm I calling too much or not enough? and the list can go on and on.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Yeah a lot of variables but it all comes back to location,concealment,and then maybe decoys.
    It's fun to think outside the box, that's what keeps it interesting..I hunt public a lot so I always try to outsmart the other hunters and in turn it outsmart the ducks,sometimes.