Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Navigable waters in MD

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by NOVAggie, May 29, 2007.

1. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

i would be afraid to know the real tally of crabs pulled from the bay by weekend warriors!:eek: that is also my concern when it comes to giveing the state to nonresidents to hunt; lets face it its not like we know the numbers of sea ducks and scaup, let alone what the increased pressure would cause to the populations. controled regulation is the only way i see to magage the resorce untill better studies are done.

2. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Chris had those numbers at one point in time when Joe117 wanted to burn all the commercial watermen at the stake . If I remember right commercial was still way higher though . There are less commercial licenses than recreational I am sure but with the commercial guy going 6 days a week it adds up quick . For the record I am not against the commercial guy either . I do think if any restrictions come down the pike they outta be shared 50/50 between the two sides though .

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

OK getting back to the point Maybe there are some options to keep the system, tweak it a little.

How about Land owners not be allowed to the first two days of the drawing, thus keeping them from licensing up shoreline they will never hunt to keep people away. If they forgot to do it when they had the chance, oh well. I know that this is a stretch, but it could be a fair way to do it. Also residents of Kent and Queen Annes county should not be allowed to any drawings in other counties, they shut all of us out, it is not fair they can go to other counties and draw.

Or, having a system where we still get squatter sites, however if you are not at your site by 6 am, it becomes public property and anyone can hunt there. This might open up some more opportunities by keeping guys from licensing up a bunch of shoreline they will never hunt, plus it will allow more people the chance to license somethimg that they will hunt.

Lastly go to a system where the number of sites is restricted, say 5 per person per year?

Question, does the potomac have squatter sites? If not, how overcrowded does it get when you can hunt where you want? Also can non residents hunt there?

I do like the blind site process, but I believe if we quit this stupid arguing and put our heads together, we can come up with a viable solution. I do think if non residents are capable enough to hunt the open waters of the bay alone, they should be able to. Any argument that is about safety is weak. IT is simply about money and having to use maryland labor(guides). That is fine, but it is not fair.

I may have been at a stretch when I called people morons or certain types of ducks trash ducks, but the point i was trying to make was that I have been screwed by as many guys form this state, including the eastern shore, as from PA. The trash duck comment was just a shot at some of you, and not intended to insult the good guys who like to shoot em, it is all our game, and guys are good at some aspects and guys are good at others. I infact am not god at the diver thing, just ask derek. You will not see me bash diver hunting or field turkey hunting aymore. As far as a lame apology, I know Nick will jump all over this, but hey I feel that i was out of line with those comments. I can admit when I am wrong, and those comments were unjust.

Nick, I am just going by what I was told by guys who I have never found to lie to me and I find it amusing that you threw my name out there that day. Let this little quarrel you have with me die, and I will do the same...

4. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

Jon-

I gotta throw a flag on this argument.

DE beach resorts and Dover Downs were built TO ATTRACT TOURISTS AND THEIR DOLLARS. You reap the benefit of that tourist trade in the form of the lower taxes you left MD for. I wonder if you can ever just be happy with things.

I have yet to see the MD advertising campaign for PA or DE residents to "Come Crab Our Bay and Sell Our Crabs on your Non-Commercial Permit".

There is no other side of the coin that you speak of.

5. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Was only trying to relate to crowds in regards to both sides of the bay paying a visit to each other . Its got nothing to do with attracting tourists on purpose . I know I don't try and they still make it over here . Tell me the town of Easton doesn't try to attract them for that matter .

And who is selling the recreational crabs they catch ? Is it everyone except MD residents ? Knows that can't be true .

6. yuk

yuk Guest

....a tourist that doesn't like tourists.:l

7. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

I like Rehomo beach, and I am not from Baltimore.
    Am I still a Tourist.:l :l
    W.

8. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

There's a difference between you and me. I don't ****** about the tourist that come to town and make it hard for me to park or get thru town. I realize our local economy and my business depends on it.

What our local economy doesn't depend on is the tourist dollars from the Dutch Navy or DE residents crabbing here, maybe buying a box of Ring Dings and a six pack or a tank of gas, then going home and eating their bushel and selling one or both! On the contrary, it probably hurts the sustainability of the resource. And I don't discount that maybe some MD residents sell a bushel or two (illegal is illegal) but at least they pay taxes to help the resource management. I used to work at Easton Point and would watch the same DE residents pull two bushels every weekend. I'm certain that their families could not eat four bushels of crabs every weekend.:mad: That's taking advantage of the system and illegal.

This may be a stupid question but do MD residents go to DE to crab?

9. MUDDYPATUX

MUDDYPATUX Elite Refuge Member

Here is a quote from the new Sect. of the MD DNR John Griffin. from the new MD hunting guide for this year.

"This time-honored form of recreation ranks high on the
    affordability scale with ever-increasing public hunting opportunities
    and improvements to public hunting access -- including access for
    those with physical challenges. In fact, our hunting opportunities and
    experiences are held in such high regard, that over 30,000 hunters
    from other states choose to hunt in Maryland each year."

The system seems to be working aas well as can be expected. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it gonna change in the near future. I would say most probably not. Would I like to see a "Floater License" ? Yes...But again, this just ain't gonna happen. It is very easy to sit at your computer and complain. It is very difficult to get a consensus of what we all want. Because we can't even agree among ouselves. Just try adding the riparian landowners and the anti's and the general public at large to the committee and see what you wind up with. I say we should leave well enough alone. And you know what...I think the DNR feels the same way.

10. jkryspin

jkryspin Elite Refuge Member

Yup. Those same weekend warriors with their beach house(s) and/or rentals sure do crab here.