Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Navigable waters in MD

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by NOVAggie, May 29, 2007.

1. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    In all honesty, do you think that Maryland land owners are going to allow the blind license laws to become more liberal?

Waterfront by its nature is worth considerably more than a comparable non waterfront piece of real estate; that translates to a higher tax base. Politicians are dependent on that tax base to fund their pensions and dealings; the tax payers will not be forgotten or lost.

As more and more duck hunters feel "entitled" to their stake locations, more and more landowners will fill out the necessary paperwork and expend the time to get their neighbors together to lock out more and more shoreline.

We live in a very densly populated area. The population centers of Philadelphia, Washington, and Baltimore coupled with the new and improved highways & bridges have brought the Chesapeake & Delmarva within 2 hours drive of millions and millions of people.

I grew up on the Shore. I remember when the past duck hunting cost me mowing a few lawns and a couple of dozen soft crabs. There was plenty to go around.

Crabs? I worked as a waterman during my summer & winter vacations to help with tution costs. Beautiful Chester River Jimmies ( they callthem jumbo's now) would go for $15 a bushel in August and may be $35 before 4th of July weekend. Tonging oysters would yield a boat full by noon as opposed to eight bushels for a long days work.

I have come to terms with the passing of an era. I would suggest that you guys quite complaining and come to terms.

Do something proactive. Send money to Ducks Unlimited. Buy some marshland. Buy some acreage. Join a duck club - they have plenty of hunting opportunities.

2. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Ok first off I am not bitching about tourists . I deal with them . I too understand why they are here and what happens if they left and never came back . I just got back from Ellendale and up to Smyrna and had to go through the race traffic . I delt with it and I'll do it 3 or 4 more times before the weekend is done . Same goes with the DE beaches . Its full of MD residents ducking the taxes and spending thier money here . But four outta 5 dentists survey what comes around goes around because people all cross state lines :rolleyes: So if I had your attitude and hatred I would be at the beaches now cussing and screaming telling all the western shore tourists to get back on route 404 and go home . Better yet to even sound more wrong I should tell them to leave my resources here . So don't take home those crabs you potted back near the power plant and throw back all those flounder you caught in the back bay . God forbid the asians poaching all the Tog at IRI that end up in Bmore .

But I am not like that . I say come here and spend your money . Only makes my life better and easier come tax time . Because of the bay bridge I sell more homes to all the come heres . So either you have been a tourist or your gonna be one soon . Tell me no and I will say your lying . So bring the kids and the Volvos because its tourists season there grumpy :tu

3. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

and i say enter a lottery and if you win spend a extra $300 and have the rights as a residents...otherwise lease/ buy or bring a resident;) :dv

4. eyeonyou

eyeonyou Elite Refuge Member

I do have a personal opinion on this topic, but due to my profession I will refrain on giving it at this time. I would however like to point out that not all shorelines that get licensed are by non-hunters, as is usually stated here. There are miles and miles of shoreline that are leased every year, and thus those shorelines are licensed to protect those leases. Granted there are landowners who for whatever reason do not allow hunting, and therefore license thier shoreline to "block" others. I do not however agree with statements that indicate that most of the landowners who license shoreline don't hunt it, I think just the opposite is the case. Now granted they may only hunt it a few times a year, but that is their choice. EYE

5. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

DS- :rolleyes:

My problem is with OOS demanding resident status. How do you turn that into hatred towards tourists???

Seems like you're the one tipping back the Hatorade.

6. NOVAggie

NOVAggie Elite Refuge Member

Just to clarify (since I started this God awful post), as an OOSer I am not asking to be on level playing field with residents. I agree you should have some sort of preference. That is where the blind stakes come into play. I DO NOT think and OOSer should be able to get a blind stake.

I jsut think an OOSer should be able to hunt from his own boat on a public waterway, with a MD license of course.

I will say it is intersesting the views and points that have been brought up on this thread.

Keep it up, it gives me something to entertain myself at work! haha

7. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

Blindog ........... See my last post . When tourists were brought up I simply made the comparison between western shore and Delmarva to Mung saying that I could relate and see his point . Both places you deal with tourists . For two weekends in a row I have delt with them bigtime . And when I say deal I just work my way around them to do what I gotta do . This past weekend was race and beach traffic combo while the weekend before was Memorial day . Could have heard a pin drop two weekends in a row across the bay I'll bet . Tourists are a good thing after all more than 5 million people visit Delaware's beaches, contributing more than $500 million to the state's economy. Visitors contribute significantly to the state's travel industry net of over $850 million a year . 5 million people from out of state equals alot of crabs and fish by the way . Tourists = jobs and low taxes .

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

chcltlabz,
    no problem, I agree with you.
    To everyone, the way I sees it is that as a non resident you have to understand that you are using the resources of another state's care.Yeah, I know the birds are no one particuilar states property, blah blah blah. But its the taxes of that state that pays for the management, the taxes paid by the guy with the resident state'slicense plate on his truck. That guy. Of cause you are going to pay more for a non res license. You should. I happen to think a lot of non res license fees are higher than they should be but so what, thats a different argument. My post way back listed all the WMA's available to a non res hunter, totally free, just show up and follow the laws in Md, not too much to ask. Look at the maps. Better yet, its summer do what I did. Take your boat with a GPS and a camera and a Gazeteer and some beer, link up with a buddie and launch at as many WMA ramps as possible. Run around, take notes, adventurize yourself boyo, its a blast and you're learning the WMA's. I've hunted a number of WMA's on weekdays, on openers, and on weekends and never was shut out cause of not enough acreage. I think its more of a psychological thing for a lot of guys. If there's someone set up on a point, lets say, the next guy comes along and is disappointed that he's not on that point. Oh poor BoooBooo! Suddenly all the waterfowl will land no where else of all the thousands of acres, except on that point. Assanine. Guys go out there and for some reason switch their mentality from a game between them and the birds, to a competition between hunters. How stupid. I mean are they really that anal or are they that bored with the sport of hunting that they have to put effort into envying another man? There will always be someone with a bigger boat, more deks, better deks, a better spot, a nicer gun, a girlfriend with bigger..........feet. Sheeesh, learn to be thankful for all the many things you have at that moment, and concerning perfection? FORGETTTTABOUTIT!
    Funny thing about whiners and complainers, while they are distracted being envious of others, the birds will drop in reguardless and Mr Whiner won't be ready or in the right state of mind to connect and down them . The birds and nature will aways have the last laugh, always. Another thing Md reqiures of the non resident, you have to be with a resident to hunt non wma waters. So what, thats reasonable to me. They have to do something to slow us Virginia lemmings from coming over the bridge at 4AM. So, once again, the non res hunter has the option to do something crazy like make a friend with a waterfowler of another state. Imagine that. Big deal. I got news for us Va non- rezzers, the far majority of Md. hunters are friendly. I've asked tons of questions over the years and always got info even from the toughest. They , we all break down our shells when it comes to talking and lending a hand. Get to know a few, if ya got a boat,invite someone to join you, if not shoot straight with your situation, let them know that you're a safe gun handler, and most guys will have you come along. Its not that hard. Here's a great place to link up with guys. Most of all quit ya bit*hin and whinning. It makes me puke.
    The past generation, the WW IIers worked hard at everything they did, they earned it all, everything they had and what they achieved was cherished, including a long and hard day in the marsh. Those guys had 1/10th the technology, the blessings we have today and they hunted like champs. Why does my generation expect the Government and guides and laws and everyone else to lay things out on a platter?
    TF