ND PLOTS Guide Available Online

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by KEN, Aug 10, 2017.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

2. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

One thing to keep in mind.....even though there are a lot of yellow squares......I am guessing quite a bit of the PLOTS CRP is being hayed or grazed. Even though it might be in the eastern part of the state where there has been better rainfall......farmers are haying it and selling it to western ranchers through a lottery run through a state farm organization. Don't want to poop on the parade but it could be a difficult year....especially for upland hunters.

We will get a pheasant brood count pretty soon. That will tell us what the nesting conditions were like.

3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

How late do they typically hay the CRP Ken? I would think if they were done by about now there would be time to regrow to a decent height.

4. Duckslayer100

Duckslayer100 Refuge Member

Regrowth will be limited to none. And if it does they might hay it twice.

5. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Well that will suck. Thanks for the info. Still planning on making a trip just for pheasants this fall.

6. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

In talking to a farmer friend of mine a few days ago, he said the contracts stipulate that you can't hay it until August (the date varied a bit depending on the type of contract). The emergency declarations allowed it to be hayed earlier in some parts.
    CRP gets hayed pretty regularly - even in non-drought times I believe they're able to hay about a third of it every year. The hayed parts are rarely more than ankle-shin high in the fall, pretty worthless for upland hunting.

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Farmers can also hay all of it once every 3 years.But the USDA relaxed those rules so all of it can be hayed or grazed this year. Farmers can hay it any time this year. But they say the later it is hayed......it isn't worth as much for feed.

As dry as it's been.....there won't be much regrowth.

8. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

I can't imagine CRP is great feed at any time, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Hopefully some of these August rains will allow for a decent late alfalfa cutting. Got over 1.75" in Bismarck last night and it's still raining lightly.

9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Yeah crp hay is pretty much crap and you normally have to run it through a grinder with better hay to make it so the cows will eat it. They were able to start cutting on July 16th and as for regrowth it's likely to be better then the first growth with new rain falling every couple days. Much of the area has gotten 2 to 4 inches in the last week so things are actually greening up and improving enough that it even shows up on the drought monitor.