NE Arkansas public hunt DIY

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Fishuhalik, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Fishuhalik

Fishuhalik Refuge Member

Wow, lotsa hate on the wood ducks. Noted. If I ever end up being stuck kinda close to someone, I'll keep the woody shooting to a minimum

2. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

I think the issue with woody shootin' is a lot can't hit them when "committed" let alone flying through the timber headed for someplace else. With this you end up with a constant 3 round barage early when the mallards are first starting in. They hear shooting and avoid said area so you miss some of that first light big bunch waterswat.... Now I don't think many will fault you for bustin' a woody getting ready to land in the hole.....or a good high percentage shot that you are capable of pulling off 110% of the time. Problem is, everyone thinks they're Tom Knapp when the birds start flyin'

Fishuhalik likes this.
  3. Fishuhalik

Fishuhalik Refuge Member

110% of the time? Y'all Arkansas boys must be spending a lot more time on the skeet range than me. I can't table blast em 110% of the time hahaha
    I hear what you're sayig though. Those lst snap shots can get real old sometimes. I've killed enough birds that I really don't care to shoot hens any more, so I usually wait for a shot that presents itself good enough to where I can at least get positive drake id

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

A lot of "etiquette" on AR WMAs has come about due to the extreme pressure. If duck numbers on a WMA are decent, I promise you've never seen pressure like you'll see there. The goal for most timber hunters is to shoot mallards in the hole. If every, or even half, of the hunters shot at wood ducks, or every single mallard flying the treetops, no one would ever be able to work a flock of mallards.

That's one of the reasons so many AR public hunters are in favor of a spinner ban. It enables, and encourages, those who don't get it to take a lot of marginal shots and wreck good hunting for all the rest.

Fishuhalik likes this.
  5. Fishuhalik

Fishuhalik Refuge Member

Br:doh
    It isn't just AR hunters that want those stupid things banned. I don't know of any experienced hunters that bother using em any more (with the exception of northern Canada field hunting) and they're a friggin plague down here

6. bill cooksey

Cool, but how many states have outlawed them in any fashion strictly due to outcry from hunters?

7. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I come to Arkansas just for the great Wood Duck hunting. Anybody can kill a mallard stalled out at 15 feet.

alexlane likes this.
  8. DHC

DHC Elite Refuge Member

That ain't no freaking joke.

9. Fishuhalik

Fishuhalik Refuge Member

How about decoy preferences? I sold all my mallards when I moved down here from NoDak. All I've got now are pins, wigeon and assorted divers so I'll be buying a new mallard spread. Do yall really think spending the extra on Dakotas (or other top $ brands) makes that much of a difference? Or could I get away with some decent, middle-of-the-road decoys?

10. bill cooksey

All the timber pros just tar bleach bottles.