NE Goose Hunt

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Drifly, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Drifly

Drifly Senior Refuge Member

I know duck season is over for most of us but I had a chance to hunt Specs at the ranch on Saturday and Sunday. I flew my son Brayden home from college for the weekend and it turned out to be a great decision.

We left SJ about 10:00 and arrived in Big Valley Friday afternoon at about 4:00. We didn't see many birds up HWY 5 on the way up north. Both Sac and Delavan were dry and there were very few birds around. When we hit Big Valley we saw a lot of Snows and Specs and realized where all the birds were. We arrived in time to do a little scouting and found our property was holding a lot of birds. We decided where we wanted to set up Saturday morning and went off to bed.

We were greeted to 3" of new snow on the ground. We pulled out our snow covers and loaded the decoys into the trailer. We set up in the middle of a pasture right along one of the farm roads. The birds were feeding on the new grass shoots along the side of the road. We were set up at first light and waited for the birds to leave the roost. (During the night we had a lot of new birds come into the valley). The first flock of about 500 Specs landed a few fields over with another flock a few fields above us. We were set up between the 2 grinds and the birds started hopping back and forth between grinds. As the birds moved from one area to another they passed over our spread. Many of them dove right in after a few notes from the Spec call. Groups of 10, 20, 50, 200, came by on a regular basis and in no time at all we had 20 Specs down between Brayden and I. I don't think there was ever a volley that one of us didn't double. It was the best Spec hunt I have ever been on. I've always wondered what it would be like hunting with Fishdog on one of his Spec hunts. I can't believe it would be any better then this.
    IMG_2395.JPG

We spent the rest of the day helping around the ranch and getting ready for the next day. We had on and off snow showers and cool weather. Lots of birds using our roosting pond so we had high hope for Sunday morning. We decided to change things up a little and set up on one of the ponds the birds were using on Saturday. Most of the birds in the area went to another field on the property and were joined by a couple thousand Snow geese. With all these birds on the property we had very little success pulling geese into our 65 decoy spread. We ended the morning with another 5 birds.

It was a great weekend with Brayden and the best goose hunt I've ever been on. We came home and ended up cleaning all the birds and putting them up in the freezer. Any suggestions on how to cook them are appreciated.

Isn't is amazing how one great hunt can turn a crappy season into a great one. Can't wait until next year.

Drifly

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Nice hunt. It is sweeter when you run the hunt than any guided hunt. We usually have a couple good goose hunts a year and they are so fun. I like to smoke some of the specs for salad or crackers and dab of cheese, make fajitas with some, I will breast out leaving skin on and do in cast iron pan and serve over brown rice and any number of sauces. Keep medium rare. I find like beef and other meats, cook and let it rest for a few minutes and the meat is much more tender.

3. Drifly

Thanks... Cooked some tonight with the skin on. First time I've done that with a goose.

They turned out great. I know have about 25lbs of Spec breat to last a few months

Drifly

4. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Congrats to you both !

5. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

Great hunt for you and your son. Good shooting too.

6. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Wonderful hunt. Great pic.

7. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

A59D45F6-FB4D-47F1-8D45-648284C5CE0B.jpeg Nice work! Feels pretty good shooting geese in March, don’t it?!

Drake Slayer likes this.
  8. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

You may already try this not sure. When breasting a big pile of specks i cut off the little strip filet next to the breast bone. Make for awesome appetizers.

I have a bag of strips waiting at home to be cooked tonight.

9. Drifly

We made poppers out of some of them. They were fantastic

Drifly

10. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on getting some quality hunting in with your son,... making memories.