Nebraska

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by ArmChair Biologist, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys.

I normally take a pheasant hunting trip to NE Montana every year but I just talked to my buddy who lives there and he told me the drought REALLY took a hit on the birds. I was looking at going to Nebraska instead. Has anyone ever hunted the panhandle or Southwest part of the state and what can you expect? How's the public land hunting and can you get on private land around there? How many birds do you flush on a good day? On a bad day? I've heard good things in the past but I havn't heard good things recently and I know nothing about pheasant hunting in Nebraska. Any info would be appreciated.

2. ArmChair Biologist

Well I did some digging and I'm going to give it a shot. Heading to the Furnas/Harlan county areas. Sounds like it's pretty decent, we'll see how it goes.

3. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

Have you gone yet? When is your trip?

4. ArmChair Biologist

Decided not to go to Nebraska. From the information I gathered the pheasant hunting is better in Minnesota then even the good areas of Nebraska. I'm going to Montana instead. My buddy who lives there told me the birds are down, but he can still flush ~80 birds in a day if he hits it hard.

I'll keep an eye on Nebraska and if the bird numbers rise to what they once were I might give it a shot in another year. I was told I'd be lucky to flush ten birds in a day right now, and I can easily flush 15-25 birds in a day here.

5. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

I live in south central Nebraska and hunt around here now, but grew up in southwest Nebraska and still get back there to hunt quite a bit. The game and parks state numbers are pretty good in their upland forecast, but we had a late snow storm that dumped anywhere from 5-16 inches of wet snow the last weekend of April in much of southwest Nebraska. I think this affected the first brood nesting and didn't see as many chicks when back this summer, but haven't hunted back home yet. Most of the guys I've talked to are seeing less birds than last season. Last season was the best numbers we've had since 2011 (drought hit in 2012), but numbers are definitely down from last year.

We have some parts of the state that can have great pheasant hunting, and we have vast parts of the state that have really suffered from habitat loss and don't support many birds. I've hunted the Platte, South Dakota area and can compare to that, but that's the only area I've ever really hunted out of state. There are spots I've hunted in Nebraska that we're just as good as those we hunted in South Dakota (all wild birds, at a friend's farm and on public ground), the difference is in the best parts of Nebraska you'll hunt all day to find 2-3 spots that good, and nearly every spot in South Dakota was like that.