Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Need a snow goose guide

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by gooeyduck, Dec 29, 2003.

1. gooeyduck

gooeyduck New Member

Could anyone recommed a guide service for hunting snow geese about mid-february near crab Orchard/Marion? Or,are there better areas?Thanks

2. ringedneck

ringedneck Senior Refuge Member

I don't really chase em myself, but there's more of em around Rend and Carlyle.

3. bentbarrel

bentbarrel Refuge Member

Contact Dale Beatly at Gander Hill Goose Club. I know that last spring they waxxed quite a few of them at thier club. They also own the franchise to cornfield camo. I think they have a link to the guide service there. www.cornfieldcamo.com

4. wormman

wormman Senior Refuge Member

Try Oakwood Hunting Club at Horseshoe Lake. They set up for them last year and killed several. Karl over there has a good club and guides that will get them in range. Call Oakwood Hunting Club at 618-776-5566 ask for Karl Fraley. He is the operator of the club over there. They set out a good spread and us calling devices to attract them into range. :)

5. discusdad

discusdad Elite Refuge Member

it ain't illinois, now its montana, and glad of it
    beatlejuice doesn't have the club at the fairgrounds anymore. he does have a spot or two in western perry county, closer to home.

6. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

there can be some good hunts in So. IL but if you really wanna put the smack down and you have the money get ya a hunt in either southeast MO or north east arkansas...........ive hunted both the past 2 years and killed tons of birds on both trips..........the numbers down there are just unreal

7. discusdad

discusdad Elite Refuge Member

it ain't illinois, now its montana, and glad of it
    yep, down here in SI a guy is better off free lancing it with a map, a county plat book, binoculars and a good door knocker. these swarms of birds won't hit a spot more than a day. you go to them, not hope they come to you. be mobile and be prepared to move a lot, and you can kill good numbers of snows.

8. ringedneck

ringedneck Senior Refuge Member

...you may be right discusdad, but ya just don't get that same fellowship and camraderie of hunting a pay club:l Seriously though, he's right, go track em down and then track down the landowner.