Need Advice! 16 week old puppy bedding for kennel floor

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by WML, Feb 8, 2018.

1. WML

WML New Member

My current situation ! I have a 16 week old female, she is crate trained (as good as expected for 16 weeks) and I also have a 5X5 welded wire kennel in garage for when I am away for her to stay in. I made a 2X4 frame, with vinyl flooring tacked to the frame to basically make a "tub" or catch that the pen sits in to make clean up easy. Its working well. All I have to do is lift the pen out, and take the frame with flooring attached outside and clean the flooring.

Anyway my question is I have went through fine shredded pine shavings on the flooring to soak up any urine or water, which is a total mess, and the wife is on my butt about it getting tracked in house, and that stuff ends up everywhere in garage. I decided to try the bigger shredded cut pine shavings today, with grass hay on top of that. Now upon observation the pup is finding any steamy grass in the hay to chew on, its like a scavenger hunt for her, and I am petrified about bowl obstructions! I know dogs eat grass, but don't want to take the risk of her eating the hay like a darn cow !

Just wondering what is safe to put in for a layer on the floor ? the fine cut pine worked, but is a total mess. I have been carrying her to work with me, but I work a 24 hour shift, and I don't want to wear out her welcome at work. She has stayed in this pen for approx. 8 hours and has been fine, but I am looking for any ideas to ease my mind leaving her in there for 10 to 12 hours at a time until my wife gets home. My last lab had a host of medical issues from a broke leg, several stints with sickness, and ended up passing away from a twisted intestine at 5 years old. She was the most unlucky dog I have had, but now I am paranoid that something is going to happen to this pup, guess I am being over protective ? But she is a chewing, mouthy fool ! it even scares me she is going to somehow get at the flooring and tear it up.

Just needing ya'lls advice THANKS