Need Advice For Upland/Ducks

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Sasha and Abby, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys... I'm considering visiting your state in September and wanted to try an freelance for puddle ducks and some ptarmigan/sharpies. Any advice on what areas to base out of... Heck, any advice period would be very welcome. :l Thanks in advance.

2. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

S&A its PorkChop here from ND. What part of AK you going to? If the FBKS area I can hook you up with all the geese, grouse, and ptarmigan you could want.

3. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Hey man... Just looking to maybe do something different before I come to your neck of the woods in October. I am mostly interested in upland birds though. Thanks... that is beyond kind.

4. patrickwellis

patrickwellis Senior Refuge Member

porkchop,

I live in anchorage and am new to the area, What kind of places do you know about in fairbanks? Any information would be great!

5. Anas rubripes

Anas rubripes Senior Refuge Member

I lived in Fairbanks for 6 years and always had good luck at Murphy Dome (25-30 miles out of town). Best time to go is late September till the end of October. It's possible to get 5 species in one day (Ruffed Grouse, Spruce Grouse, Sharptail Grouse, Willow Ptarmigan, Rock Ptarmigan) If you hit it just right in early October the ptarmigan will show up in white plumage before there is snow on the ground. You can spot them by glassing the ridges. Other spots to consider are Eagle Summit (up the Steese Hwy) and Bonanza Creek Forest (towards Nenana).

6. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

HMM. Maybe we should be putting all this info in the form of private messages...for those of us who still in Fairbanks and would like to still go places and find birds!

-northern wings

7. greyghost _1

greyghost _1 New Member

I don't know if I agree w/ you northern wings, a public forum is a place to share information & help out others who may be new or don't know where to go. You can only go out so long with out see any before you get discouraged & stop going out. Public land is for everyone to use & enjoy not just a select few.
    I guess the only reason I would be worried is if everyone who shows up has a lack of respect for others or is set on shooting everything they see so they can tally up how many hundred birds they shot at the end of a season.

8. patrickwellis

patrickwellis Senior Refuge Member

Hit it right on the head greyghost. I need this website for a little "direction" or i would be so lost here. But, I know what it is also like to start killin a few and then it seems like the whole town shows up. nothern wings i'm up for coming up that way this winter and chasin some birds if you would like to pm me and let me know some good spots i'd apprechiate it. maybe we could hunt a little to if you like?

9. akduse

akduse New Member

Patrick clean out your pm's

10. tbduck

tbduck Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Wow. I was going to comment on the last few posts, but could not find away with out getting people mad at me :dv

I will tell the new guys to head to fish and game. Nothing said here they did not tell me the first day I moved here. That may tell you something about the amount of people hunting those areas. Only takes a few topo maps and the desire to get off the road and you will do fine, atleast for upland bird hunting.

And if any of you show up in my secret spot I will shoot you, just kidding, haha :nutz But remember not all alaskan are kidding. :rolleyes: