Need Advice For Upland/Ducks

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Sasha and Abby, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

There is a HUGE line between Internet scouting and asking for general info. I posted back last summer that I would be working in AK and would like general info about hunting, and I got one PM.

Now I spend more than half the year up on the slope, and even though I don't live in AK, I hope to be moving there as soon as the company approves it. Once there I plan to start looking for birds, but you guys who live there have to understand, AK is like NOWHERE else I have ever been. It seems the bears have more rights has humans up there and I can't belive a place that big has soo little roads. Totally unique. On the flight up to the slope I see THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of potholes. Also, people don't want to share info, but honestly, there are more duck hunters on the opening day in Ennis, TX than there are in ALL of AK. If you guys could see pictures of boat ramps, it would make some of you quit hunting.

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

I think you will find us pretty friendly once you get up here. :sp :sp :sp
    I agree that there are not near as many hunters up here as down in the lower 48 but as you said, there are not may roads so the puts a lot of guys in a few areas, especial in the Anchorage area. We have all seen an increase in the local areas so guys are not as open as they used to be. If you have a plane you don't have to worry about crowds, a super cub on floats would be ideal!!!

3. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

Not too many guys are willing to give info away, but scouting is a must.
    With all the potholes we have up here the ducks can spread out so far with out hunting pressure it probably won't remind you of down south.
    Many who have found places were ducks dump into all day long are not about to give up there locations but you will see that people are willing to help and share...just not tell someone who whines about not shooting birds, and threatens to quit hunting if they don't see any, I have a feeling you arn't like that.

-northern wings

4. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Post the more pics. Nice bear Dallen

5. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

Trying to find the rest of them. Just put a bunch on nodak the last couple of days. We just moved so I still have a ton of pictures in boxes somewhere. Thanks for the pictures of the deer. Very nice buck! Do you take that duck boat of your's out on the coast?

6. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

OK, you asked for it.

Colored widgeon, a rarity for us in AK.
    [​IMG]
    An old moose pic
    [​IMG]
    and since we are going into the fishing season....
    [​IMG]

Will be chasing white birds again this weekend, will post more current pics next time.

7. PorkChop

So will I in about 2 to 3 weeks. Probably a different white bird though. :yes :grvn

8. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Pork Chop
    Yeah, it will take some light waves, 2 feet or so. I have gone through a lot worse, but not for long.

9. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

But I bet you cant say the same for them kangs. :no

10. PorkChop

I take the waterfowl hunting for 6 months out of the year over the kings anyday. :yes