Need Advice For Upland/Ducks

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Sasha and Abby, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

I'm not so sure I would. What do you do the other 6 months? I would like the hunting to last longer up here. We get from Sep 1 to normally the beginning of November on the marsh, and then divers until close in mid December. I do get out to other states and keep it going till the end of January though. But I sure do like running them rivers and catchin all those salmon. :tu I dont think I'd trade one for the other. Too bad we all cant have it all. Work would REALLY get in the way then.

Fishing from late May till mid august,
    caribou/moose mid aug till end of sep
    waterfowl sep till mid December
    ptarmigan in winter
    bears in spring
    and then do it all over again beginning with fish.

All in all, a pretty full year.

2. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

Fox/Coyotes all year long
    Honks 1 - 15 Sep
    All Waterfowl end of Sep till Jan
    Snows from Feb to May although they probably won't be here till March
    Fishing all year long. Walleye, perch, crappie, blue gill, LM Bass, pike, Rainbow, Cutthroat and Brown Trout, catfish and bull heads (yuck) and even some big stocked salmon (not 50 pound big though)
    Pheasants, grouse, white tail and mule deer, elk, turkey, antelope, moose all mixed in.
    Montana and Canada not so far away

I like it. Got a river to run as well with sandbars. Hopefully this one won't try to kill me like the other one did.

For me AK is a great place to visit but I don't think I could do another 9.5 years there unless I lived on Kodiak or Cold Bay.

3. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

:l Thats funny, I was going to say the same thing about ND. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Been here nearly 18 years and still going strong. Each place has its own plus's. Make sure you post some of the snow hunting pics. Would love to see em. You guys have moose and elk (in huntable numbers)?

4. PorkChop

Moose is a tag system. I usualy have the camera with me so hopefully I will get plenty of white bird pictures. Well its 0450 here. Gotta go work out. Wish I was going hunting!

5. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

PC
    Are you moving?

6. PorkChop

Nope! I have at least 3 more years here. That will put me at almost 17 years in the USAF. Hopefully I will be able to stay here for the rest. I have intentions on doing my 30 years but a lot can happen. Maybe I will win the powerball or maybe I will become a male stripper! :grvn

7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Do you duck hunt via a boat or goose hunt using full bodies brought in with trucks and trailers?

8. PorkChop

I sold my boat so now I mostly field hunt. I have a 6X12 enclosed and I have 13 doz Big Foots. Looking to up that to about 18 doz.

I do plan to get another boat so I can hunt some of the late season ducks out on the Missouri River. I really miss the atmosphere of the river hunting. There are a lot of pot holes but I have not had the need to disturb them. The ducks come to the goose decoys just fine. Sometimes we will add 8 doz mallards in with the goose decoys.

9. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Ok, try hunting in our marsh where you need to take 4-wheelers in for a few miles and you need 4x4 with mud tires. After three months you are so worn down you really don't mind that the season is over.

10. PorkChop

I have done that as well. Grew up on the east coast. Logged many a mile in the salt marsh muck. Also the tidal areas and glacial rivers of AK can be pretty unforgiven. Never looked forward to a season being over. The last day of the season is always a sad day.