Need advice on builidng a floodable field

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by schmidty3, Aug 23, 2017.

1. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

This may just be an academic exercise at the moment (until I get funds, motivation, and approval).

However, id like to kind of get an idea of what would be needed for my situation.

This is on my grandparents place in northeast Oklahoma.

Hold off everyone! I'll add some better pics and some more info in a second. Im learning to work this forum

Attached Files:

2. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

This is an overview. We've got a 5-7 acre flood control pond. The area I'm interested in is just above it.[​IMG]

3. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

Here's a flooded view. The left hand side is sort of a terraced hill, which does hold a bit of water. [​IMG]

4. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

Here's the area I'm interested in.

The easiest thing that I could do is just plug up this drainage. I really would only need to create a damn about 6 ft high and 20 yards long. The drainage cuts some terraces and I think you could connect the terraces and install a water control structure and maybe be good to go. Just plugging up that hole would likely allow the flooding of that blue areas. It's tempting to just try it. The lower areas seem to hold water, and the terrace above will hold water for a good amount of time.

My thought is to try it and see what happens. However I may need to add a levee to the east side along the trees or back in the woods along the creek and get some flooded timber too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  5. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

A more ambitious plan is to build a pond above the planned flooded area (red area). Install a water control structure. And use that water to flood the planned area (blue).

Of course I could also pump from the lake, but would prefer to not have to do that.
    [​IMG]

6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Hard to see elevations. Any duck habitat where you can control water is good habitat. I think the most important factor is location. Are you close to an area that holds/refuges birds or on a decent migration route (close to river that birds use as a migration route)? These factors are most important before investing your time and money. A puddle in the middle of nowhere may produce a few birds on occasion.

Good luck

7. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

So the plan would be to clear the trees in the flooded area. I believe they are mainly willows but there's a few others in there.
    The whole area would be about 3-4 acres. Ideally I would plant it with some sort of crop (jap millet), and flood it to the desired depth.

So overall plan.

Floodable a millet field. Fenced in from cows. Watch lots a ducks feast.

Concerns I have..

Are there any regulatory hurdles?

If I plant it will the ducks come?

What sort of extra work may be needed that I'm forgetting? (Such as, will I need to strip the top soil, dig down to clay, then replace the topsoil?)

In the recent past my grandpa has got the state to build multiple ponds across the place. Would it be farfetched to have them build my dam for the floodable portion? Maybe the water control pond above the foldable portion too? There definitely is some erosion going on. This structure would reduce the amount of soil going into the main lake. So I may have a selling point there.

What do you guys think?

If I can do the simplest plan, I think I could get the trees cleared and dam built with maybe a day or 2 of dozer work. Add a water control device and a fence and done.

For the water control device, what sort of concerns do I need to be aware of when having the did we guy install it? It's probably fairly reasonable to assume he's not done many of them.

What diameter pipe is needed for a 3.5 acre area?

8. schmidty3

schmidty3 New Member

Hannibal,

Its not in the greatest of areas. The last few years have been tough. We might have shot a handful of ducks off of the lake last year. But we would see 100-150 ducks in a morning, they just didn't want to be on the lake and would keep flying. I think the recent large water fluctuations we've had over the past several years has killed off the desirable food in the larger lake. So I need to plant some duck friendly aquatic foods in there as well (divers in the lake, puddlers in the field). In the past there were quite a few ducks on the lake. At one point there were 300-400 redheads using it for a 2-3 week period.
    Other then last year, we would normally take 30-70 ducks off of the lake over the season (hunting thankgiving weekend and xmas break plus a few other weekends).

The standard duck population that uses this area (several square miles) has maybe been 200-300 ducks over the past few years. The goose population was larger last year. We would have 100 or so large geese fly by every morning in 5 or more flocks). There's is quite a bit of hunting pressure around. I don't intend on hunting this area too often, maybe every third weekend during season.

I need to manage the lake and the 5 or so stock tanks too. I think the addition of duck friendly aquatics and some oaks would really hold the ducks in the surrounding area.

9. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

JFG and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  10. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

Sounds to me like you have enough activity were if you planted food they would come. For waterfowl you wouldn't want a dam that's too high. I wouldn't do more than 3 feet w 1 foot overflow. If you get a massive rain it would roll over that levee very aggressively- if you have a decent watershead. Have you tested the soil? Assume it's ok if there is a lake on property. Also need a pump or two to get all moisture out to plant in a wet season. Lots of work- but probably worth a shot. I would probably start w acre or two to see if you have results. I have seen hundreds of ducks stacked in small areas.

As far as ponds and lake are concerned- if they are real deep, it would be real easy to change pitch of slope to get skinny water in there and promote moist soil around outer edge. That would also Attract puddle ducks. You could also plan winter wheat on fields around lake and wetland area to attract geese