Need advice on drones

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Don Smith, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Don Smith

Don Smith Elite Refuge Member

My wife and I are putting in technical water (a complex pond) and associated wetlands on our land, mainly for dog training, but also, obviously, for waterfowl hunting. I'd like to be able to record the progress photographically and maintain a photographic record from above. Seems to me that a drone with a camera or even two cameras is the way to go, but I know nothing about drones. I've researched them for a month or more and looked at a bunch of them on Amazon, read reviews, etc., but I still don't know what to do. I don't want to sink a fortune on one (would really like to keep the cost below $200). Seems like a lot only have like 5-7 minutes of battery life. I'd like more than that, but probably 15 minutes would be OK. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. Rebranger

Rebranger Refuge Member

Get a Bugs. DJ Mavik is a good one also.

3. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

You will get what you pay for in drones I have the dji mavic pro which is around 800 and a dji inspire 1 with thermal that was 24,000. The mavic is the way to go for personal use

Rebranger likes this.
  4. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Ive got a DJI standard 3 and that was and still is the bottom of the barrel drone 3 years ago. It still cost me around $500. Like mentioned before you will get what you pay for. I think you will be dissapointed in a $200 drone though.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Dont fly it near an airport

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

....or duck hunters.

Vammy likes this.
  7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Especially those with lead capable of knocking the drone done. A friend of mine was deer hunting last week and heard one above him. He said it buzzed him and shortly afterwards a bunch of geese got up on a neighboring pond. He is convinced a nearby goise hunter more than likely rousted the birds.

8. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

What's the limit on drone where you are? I think it 3 /day in MD;)

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I been doing a lot of research also,get something in the 500.to 800 range and a spare battery or two.

10. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I run a DJI Mavic Pro that I purchased used from B&H Photo Video and would recommend if you are looking to save some $, consider purchasing used from a place like B&H or Adorama.

The Mavic Pro runs about 20 min's or so on a single battery and has some great features.

I purchased mine for my photography business but also have found it very useful for duck hunting as well has far has scouting and seeing how blinds/spreads look from a bird perspective.