need advice please....

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by tweezerbeak, Jul 18, 2004.

1. tweezerbeak

tweezerbeak Senior Refuge Member

Been reading this for a year or so now i have a question....what would your mode of operations be for the following..........i have 4 fields that no one else hunts...........they are covered with winter wheat.we call it rye grass so it is green all season have maybe 4 or 5 resident flocks in area then add 5 or 6 migrant flocks then add stagglers .........i can let them rest for a few days then hunt them then let them rest and hunt again one flock is usally smarter then the others one flock is usally quicker to decoy...............so how could I manage these geese better and still get better hunts at same time .i use layout blinds and .dont laugh at this but i rotate a burlap blind from field to field .they get used to it then we go after them......what might you guys do different???????????i have 2 dozen big foot 4 drop zones some shells , not a bad spread I konw these geese because i can follow them around a 5 mile area there is a fresh water refuge they use and a few big lawns too....also they will bring in strange geese now and then give me some feed back please....

2. baker

baker Elite Refuge Member

Depends on how many birds you are talking when you say flocks what are we talking about more then 20 i would have to guess in a flock or a couple hundred in a flock you can only do so much with what you have i would say get your birds as fast as you can without educating the rest dont shoot into big groups and get them close for clean kills. Just switch up feilds and dont over hunt them. Do habitat work in the area in the spring so your resident population will grow. And most importantly have fun shooting some geese.

3. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

O.K. Let me get this straight,

You have exclusive use of 4 different fields which are frequented by 10-12 flocks of geese (who occasionally bring "buddies") and you are successful at decoying them w/ a solid spread of a couple dozen big foots and a few drop zones.

What's the Problem?

I'm w/ Baker :

4. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Sounds like you have some fields similiar to some of my fields. We try to wise up as few birds at a time as possible, like Baker said. Only shoot at flocks that are under a certain size, like 6 or 8 birds and don't use the bigfoots for birds you are trying to fool several times over. 4 dozen Dropzones is an awesome spread! I personally have never hunted over more than 30 of them and my success has been literally awsum. If you are having geese pass by you at 1/2 to 1 mile away, Then I would suggest a flutterwing goose. If all the geese in your area are coming to you anyway, just set up the Dropzones.

Paul