Need field help

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cfoty, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

I have access to an 8 acre piece of property that is on a creek that at all times has between 2000 to 4000 geese in the immediate area. I know the field is small but my question is this. There are tall trees on both sides the field is 300' wide. I can cut down the trees on one side is it worth the effort to open the field up. Your opinions would be appreciated

2. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

With that many geese don't worry about cutting trees down. Just set up as close to were they are an you'll be good.

3. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

Wareagle we are as close as we can get. There is a field across the creek that geese use that is much larger than ours. We planted winter wheat this year with the hope they would use it. The field lies north and south so on a east or west wind they seem to have trouble getting in

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Don't cut down trees to kill a couple geese...good Lord.

Put a few trainer decoys out in your field and see if that doesn't pull some birds in there. Let them get comfortable for a few days once they get in there and then go hunting.

marsh man dan likes this.
  5. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Better be careful that near a water source. If you are in a "critical area" you can end up in jail for cutting just a single tree down unless it's dead, dying, or endangering life, limb, or property.

6. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

They are a cedar trees and about 8-10 oaks we were going to use for firewood. It is a hedgerow that separates properties. All the trees are on our place

7. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

I would cut the hell out of them. Giving them more room and visibility is a good thing.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Clean up the whole hedge!!

Spencer5100 likes this.
  9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

8 oak tress will last a little bit for firewood, you guys have access to electricity or natural gas or anything? Or are you firing a crucible and making steel with the wood?

Takes 50 to 100 years to grow a nice oak...eff it, chop that sumbi@tch down if it'll help you kill 3 birds you probably aren't gonna eat anyway.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  10. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

If you own the trees and there are no obscure laws preventing removal I would take them all out, even small ones that one day will be tall. You described the field as 300 ft. wide which isn't much swing room for geese depending on wind. With the trees gone you can utilize the adjoining property as your own for working geese.

As I said, if everything is good to go it's your property and you can develop it the way you want. When you get the oaks down take a 2ft chunk and send out to Colorado so it can get a big hug.

2WIDGN and GK1 like this.