Need field help

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cfoty, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about cutting hedgerows down. My buddies has a farm that attracted a good amount of geese. They bulldozed the hedgerows down to make huge fields that these huge irrigation systems could run around in circles. Much less geese now in specific areas because of such big open spaces. Its like the birds are not set to natural flight patterns that have been established for many years. This was a lot more acreage than what you are describing.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, trees are stupid, who needs 'em. They just detract from the value of a piece of property.

3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

300 yards is plenty of room for birds to work. I've killed birds in a 2 acre field before. You don't need to cut trees down to get them in there any better, they just need to want to be in there

GUNNERX2 and spaightlabs like this.
  4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

That's still 100 yards...it ain't the trees that are keeping the geese out of there...

T-rex is right - if they want in they will parachute in vertically. We had a field that required the birds to come in over some high tension power lines. It wasn't always easy to get them to cross the lines, but once they did, they were done.

6. Trevor Shannahan

I've landed geese in my front yard, which has about 50 yards of open area. If they want in, they will find a way to get in.

7. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

He didn't say he was selling it so who cares. He asked whether removing a few trees would improve his odds of shooting more geese. Going by his description I would say absolutely. We all have geese that drop in vertically but not all, probably 20% of the time or less depending on conditions.

If spending a few days clearing trees in the off season means the difference in shooting geese verses watching them through the trees land in the next field that's a no-brainer. Keep Calm and Saw On.

Empty Skies likes this.
  8. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

The field lies due north and south. It is not very often that the wind is north and south. The trees to the west are an old tree farm with extremely tall pines we control the the hedgerow to the east. We looked at it again and we believe if we take out 5 oak trees and the rest of the cedars we can open it up. You need to understand across the creek there is no hunting pressure and a large winter wheat field. The last few years it seems like the geese get off the creek and will not cross to our side and go straight to the wheat. We are hoping anything we do can increase our chances. This is on the eastern shore of Maryland, there is a consistent population that never leaves the area so we are trying anything ( legal ) to improve our chances

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Modify that hedge if it makes a great deer stand location.

10. Trevor Shannahan

Once again, you better check to see if it lies inside a critical area before you cut anything down.

Also, MD geese are used to very tight fields and using them. I would say if the birds aren't using your field then cutting some trees down won't help matters. The predominant wind on the shore is NW so wind shouldn't be an issue either.