Need field help

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cfoty, Jan 14, 2017.

1. eagle rider

eagle rider Refuge Member

No worries about the setup,.... I'll hunt that spot with you.... we'll get those birds in!!!! :tu

2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Trevor. I've shot birds out of some really small, obscure fields. If the birds don't want to be in your field you need to force them to come in. I've hunted traffic almost exclusively the last ten years and getting geese to come into fields they've never touched is my specialty.

What you really need to do is make 150 black and white silhouettes and put them in a big circle in the middle of your field. String some fullbodys down wind of the black mass. Get two to three guys that are power callers to hunt with you. Don't worry about making a hole, the geese will try to land in the black and whites 95% of the time. Put your blinds right in the middle of the mass of silhouettes. Get the callers to blow their brains out. With that set up you'll get some birds.

eagle rider likes this.
  3. eagle rider

eagle rider Refuge Member

X2 on ArmChair.... Set the deeks as geese would use the field so it appears natural but be mindful of landing geese as well as shooting angles. As usual the wind is a big factor.

4. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

Another question. The field hasn't been planted in years. Before the season we ran a disc through it and over seeded it with winter wheat. There is a possibility that we could put it in corn. Any thoughts

5. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Put it in corn. Leave a strip of 8 rows or so on both edges standing. Plant over the harvested corn in winter wheat again

Hunt the edges, don't try to use layouts to get in the middle. Or if you own it then put a pit in and leave the standing corn in the middle on the backside of the pit. Generally in small fields I prefer to hunt the edges and leave food around the edges so they have more space to land

6. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

Anybody think this field will be good

Attached Files:

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Put the pit in, totally changes the way you hunt and kill birds.
    I would not leave any corn standing.
    We dont have so many birds to hunt and a lot of hunting pressure. Birds want to see the whole field look the same Tire tracks can move geese off a location