googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Need help finding a field to swan hunt in

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by kayaker2, Dec 15, 2017.

1. kayaker2

kayaker2 Senior Refuge Member

Looking for a field for a swan hunt for myself and my old dog. She has been the best retriever I have owned in the last 30 years, but she is over 12 years old and is fading fast. She still loves to retrieve and hunt, but is too crippled up to take on a water hunt. We have done a few easy dove hunts this year, but since I managed to pull a swan hunt I would like to take out on a hunt.

Looking for something that may not exist anymore, a field that we could use and pay a trespass fee on . I have some snow goose shells which worked fine for me in the past.

I live down near Wilmington, and work for a living so really do not have a lot of spare time to run up and knock on doors. Years past went up and hunted outside of Lake Mattamuskeet either at Gunther Greens place or over on Killkenny Farms. I am sure Mr. Green has moved on and they gave up on doing swan hunts, at least for my connections behind New Lake.

Do not want to be put in a party hunt and I can take a day off during the week to come hunt.

Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

2. rntfan

rntfan Senior Refuge Member

Tim Mason has a place over on Kilkenny. Give him a call-‭(252) 9fourfour-6374‬. He does field hunts.

3. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

Some shooting preserves have tower shoots. Pheasants or ducks thrown from a tower and guns placed around for shooting. Every so many birds the guns rotate....sometimes the dogs do also. They often are looking for “pick-up dogs” for the shoot.
    Great way to have fun with your dog.

4. kayaker2

kayaker2 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the tower suggestion. She picks up doves and ducks, but does not like pheasants and has no real interest in swans. Never forced fetch her, but she has always done well with ducks and doves.