Need Help Setting Up Spread in New Spot

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by BTK, Dec 30, 2017.

1. BTK

BTK New Member

Hey guys,

Can I ask for some help with setting up a spread in a new lease that I am running this year?

Background:

I have a 3/4 acre depression dug into a bean field next to well. We trenched power and hooked up a sprinkler pump and are pumping 77 gallons/minute into the depression. It is staying open very well even with our sub-zero temperatures. 30' pit in front of the pond on the east side (well dressed). We have thousands of geese in our area. I have been able to decoy a few, but not as many as I would like. The geese that we had decoying today all rolled off at about 100-150 yards. It was incredibly frustrating. I have been running silhouettes feeding in the field on the north and east side (just behind the blind) and about 20 geese floaters and 20 duck floaters in the pond (this still leaves ample landing room).

Many of our geese are coming off of a nearby rock quarry that holds and incredible amount of birds. We are in a field just to the south of it.

I had a buddy that drove by the area today that used to hunt it that told me I was setting up all wrong. He told me that he thought that I was doing poorly because these geese looked at this area as more of a roost. He told me to loose the feeder socks, and the a lot of the silhouettes in the field feeding, and focus on loading the area with shells and floaters. He said to make it look more like a roost.

I have about 20 goose floaters, 2 dozen ghg shells (1/2 sleepers and 1/2 resters), 18 magnum shells (they are a bit old, but should still work) and a few dozen Bigfoots.

My buddy told me to stick with this and to take the feet of of the Bigfoots and use them like shells sprinkled in.

Can I get some opinions on this? Is he right? Have the socks been screwing me because of movement? Unfortunately, I am not at a point in my life where I can have a trailer loaded with full body's and shells. What is my best option for setup here? And if I am running it like a roost, do I still flag and call the same?

Thanks a bunch your guys expertise!

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

It might be worth it to take his advice,and if it works buy him a cold one,if it don't work,lesson learned and at least you tryed. Sometimes even in a great spot it takes a little trial and error.Good luck and keep us posted. You could always invite me and my Son up and we will show you ecactly how to set up:dv

BTK likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I would not put socks in a spread with water since you're trying to imitate a roost/loafing spot. IMO, socks are only good for using in a hot field for aggressive feeding looks. Use everything else. You can take some of the feet off if you want but leave some on. Make it look like a big black hole with your decoys. Also, since you're hunting basically the same birds each day, pick up your decoys and don't over hunt it. I wouldn't hunt it more than 2 times a week.

BTK likes this.
  4. BTK

BTK New Member

Awesome guys, thanks for your experience! How do you recommend calling and flagging when simulating a roost? Is it different than when in a corn/bean field with no water to simulate feeding?

5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We lease a cattle pond that’s in a good traffic line and hunt it like it’s a roost. Very small piece of water, maybe 40 x 60 yds. We set around 15 goose floaters, mostly sleepers, and when numbers get up we run 5dz shells and 2dz fb’s. 90% of the shells are sleepers or resting head poses. The fb’s are a mix of feeding resting standing sleepers. We do run a dz duck floaters but those are between the blind and the goose floaters. That way any approaching geese are not coming into ducks

6. BTK

BTK New Member

Thanks! How do you set up your feeder full body decoy's? Is it okay to put these on ice? Or does that just look bad?

7. negooseman

Clucks/moans, keep it simple unless the birds dictate that you need to get fast/loud. Flagging, low and sporadic when the birds are out a ways.stop once they are headed to you. If they slide or lose interest, flip it to regain their attention.

BTK likes this.
  8. negooseman

feeders here and there just like your other fullbodies. You can put a few on the ice, won't hurt anything.

BTK likes this.
  9. BTK

BTK New Member

Thanks, guys! I am going to go out and pick up a few more shells to make the spread a bit larger. The Higdon half shells are $60 for 6. Would these work well on ice or should I send more money on other shells?

10. negooseman

They work fine. They are smaller than most shells but are darker colored which helps them stand out in snow or on the ice.

BTK likes this.