Need Help Setting Up Spread in New Spot

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by BTK, Dec 30, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We just scratch the ground up if there’s snow, otherwise just place where the grass is the tallest. Only thing we put on the ice is sleeper or relaxed poses fb’s.

BTK likes this.
  2. BTK

BTK New Member

5C0525BA-551C-4735-AA0E-68260BF12896.jpeg 5C0525BA-551C-4735-AA0E-68260BF12896.jpeg BB04B3E5-2178-467F-B864-0F6A4B711B68.jpeg 90694295-451E-4F47-9647-4C71D3EDB413.jpeg Should I use these oversized shells with heads or take the heads off and mix them up with the sleepers?

3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Take the faces off said decoy heads and place them on the bottom of the neck, and use them as feeders. That’s the purpose of those decoy heads.

If you only have ice, use all your shells on the ice, place some Bigfoots walking around on the ice and amongst the shells and set the rest of the Bigfoot’s on their bellies. Also I have cleared the snow off the ice on ponds so the goose decoys are on ice not snow. I think it looks better but also I’ve observed geese loafing on frozen ponds while on ice not on snow covered ice.

If you have open water, use all the floaters with some shells and a few full bodies on the ice.

If you only have open water, use all your floaters and some full bodies on shore. Personally I would go with a good/real looking spread rather than a giant pile of junk. I’ve had some really good traffic hunts on frozen ponds using only one dozen Bigfoot full bodies.

Plus hide better than you think.

BTK likes this.
  4. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

The weather is the great equalizer, if your froze and you know the body of water, and it’s safe for everyone including the dog, chainsaw a hole in the ice. We have killed many limits over a couple floating mallards with some sleepers and 2 or 3 full bodies walking towards the water.

Good luck be safe.

BTK likes this.
  5. BTK

BTK New Member

I feel like an idiot! I bought 18 of these at a garage sale for $1/each! After you mentioned that, I even found out that I can rotate the heads from uprights to feeders to sleepers. Thanks for mentioning that to me!

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Nice,I would like to get a few of those for 1.00 ,they would make great swan decoys.

7. BTK

BTK New Member

I have swans that go right over the top of me all the time. Can’t shoot them here.

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Yeah in Northern Nevada you can get a tag for them.Limit is 1 a seeason ,but you can hunt where there are ducks and geese also.they are huge birds.

BTK likes this.
  9. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Your biggest obstacle is that roost your close to. Alot of live decoys to contend with that sound a whole lot better than any guy blowing a piece of plastic.

BTK likes this.
  10. BTK

BTK New Member

I do agree! I can't tell you how many birds are going over the top of me every day. It is incredible. It makes for a great day of bird watching, but a frustrating day of hunting. I just picked up another dozen sleepers. I am going to run a spread of 4 dozen sleeper, 1 dozen resters, 18 mag shells that Ill rotate into sleepers all on the ice and surrounding the water, and about 20 goose floaters. I hope that this helps out a bit. I drove by Lakeside lake yesterday (if you know where that is) and there were all geese sleeping on the ice, a few standing, and a few in the water. My plan is to try to mimic this.