Need help: Training Tips

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Tdawg5664, Jun 21, 2017.

1. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Let's take a breath and take a closer look here. All Doc said was ""Water Dog" (by Richard A Wolters) was a good book - - - - 50 years ago.
    There are MUCH better training programs available now."

Richard Wolters was a writer, and a pretty good one. He was not really a trainer, even in his day. The fact that Water Dog continues to sell is far more a product of marketing than of superior results. The techniques and methods are very basic, and can certainly produce a decent gundog if the dog was a good quality animal to start with. But there are far better sources of training material that are are capable of producing far better trained dogs for the field and marsh. It's the difference between any tradesman choosing to use the tools of the 1950's vs the tools of today. You can do it, but not as well or efficiently.

Meanwhile back to your one year old dog. It's certainly time to train him formally so he'll not only know what you want him to do, but that he will do it reliably under the challenging conditions he'll face hunting. He'll give you his best. Give him yours.

EvanG

2. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I started my first dog (formal training) at 1 year of age. I worked weekly with a pro trainer and then train during the week on my own. We do not HT or FT. She is a hunting dog only, both waterfowl and upland. I am confident she could do SH work at a trial. With my second pup I picked up Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy. I just liked the way he does things. There are other good programs out there. Good luck. In my opinion it's not too late

EvanG likes this.
  3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

"Back in the day", I trained three dogs using "Water Dog". I thought that they were adequate for hunting dogs.
    Since then I have gone to Carr based training ("Smartwork" by Evan Graham). The difference between the methods is like driving a 1950 Chevy 'six-banger' and a new Corvette.
    It's your dog,,,,,,,,,, train the way you want. but if you want your dog to be the best it can be, get on a modern -- sequential training program.
    Personally, I still prefer "Smartwork", but some folks prefer Lardy or Hillmann or some other program.
    Until you have trained multiple dogs using both old and new techniques, you can't really make an accurate appraisal of the methods.

EvanG likes this.
  4. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

You've come to the right place. Listen to the folks here they know their stuff and are very willing to offer advice and insight.

I'm a novice, my advice is patience and consistency. That and if you are getting angry at all, throw a fun bumper and call it a day.

Good luck! When your pup brings back the first duck to hand it will all have been worth it.

EvanG likes this.
  5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Hey Evan
    In the original post, he said, "her to sit, stay, bring the object she's retrieving back to me. I want to know what else I need to teach her"
    I think that if you would post your "Flow Chart" it would answer this question.
    I'd put it up, but were just now leaving for a Hunt Test in Portland, I don't have time.

6. ElkNuts

ElkNuts Senior Refuge Member

Check out the Freddy King videos on Youtube.

7. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Wolters has served many labrador retriever trainers quite well and will continue to do so as long as you follow the book!! Gundog trainers who are training a retriever for a hunting companion can do an excellent job with Wolter's training manual!!

LL

quackaholic likes this.
  8. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

Welcome and first and foremost just remember to enjoy the "process". You have been given plenty of quality advice and suggestions to this point. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

9. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

And this only includes early Transition.

EvanG