Need help with brine for duck/goose and salmon!

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by 98ramtough, Dec 5, 2005.

1. 98ramtough

98ramtough Senior Refuge Member

This new cooking forum is sweet.

I need a couple suggestions and some help.

I have a Propane smoker (I know I know you guys probably don't like propane). I got it from costco and it controls the heat and smoke very well.

I need a good brine for muscle duck and goose jerky. I like a sweeter flavor and the meat to be somewhat soft. So far all my batches have turned out a very black color, even if they are soft they are blan and black colored.

I am using apple or cherry chips and only filling the chip pan once which smokes about two hours, I leave the chip pan in and keep the water pan full and let it go for about 8-9 hours at about 210degrees. The meat comes out cooked about right but just doesn't have a good flavor, is it the brine?

I also have a bunch of salmon that needs smoked. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

2. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Jerky doesn't need a tons of brine or alot of smoke. Jerky is mainly dehydrated. Try Yo****o's gourmet sauce and soak meat strips overnight. Then put on rack and dehydrate until it appears stiff yet flexible. Too dry makes crappy jerky. I don't even smoke mine. Just use a food dehydrator.

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Take the water pan out too.

Here's a salmon brine:
    My favorite brine:
    1/2 gallon water
    1/2 cup pickling salt
    1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
    3 cloves
    3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
    5 dried red peppers or more
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 medium onion, cut in rings
    12 pepper corns
    You can also add:
    Soy sauce (careful, can get too salty quick)
    Honey
    Fresh ginger
    Lemon zest
    Orange zest
    Brandy or J.D.
    Hot sauce

Recipe can be doubled.

4. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Leave the water pan out! It adds moisture, and that's what you're trying to get rid of. 8-9 hours is probably too long at 210 - about 180 should be enough. The black color is probably from the smoke.

5. 98ramtough

98ramtough Senior Refuge Member

ok so drop the temp down to 180, take the water pan out..

So does the black meat mean the smoke is too much? Should I take the smoke pan out after an hour or so???/

6. Jimbob

Most wild game jerky I've ever seen is almost black...even when liquid smoke is used rather than natural smoke. Does it taste burned? If not, I wouldn't sweat it. Here's a good jerky marinade you could try:

For about 5 lbs. of meat: (I try to make the slices as uniform as possible by nearly freezing, then using an electric slicer - about 3/16" thick. Cut across the grain for softer, with the grain for chewier.)

Mix in a bowl:
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 Tbs worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp black pepper cracked or very coarse ground - fresh if possible
    1 Tbs liquid smoke

Place strips of meat in marinade and let soak for at least 24 hrs. Place on dryer racks and dry for about 8 hrs at 180 degrees or until dry to your preference. If you use a meat smoker, leave out the liquid smoke. If you like a peppery jerky, add more black pepper. If you like some zing in it, add some cayenne, or some crushed red peppers. If you like it sweeter, add some brown sugar or molasses.

7. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

What JimBob said, that is a GREAT base...and feel free to experiment, it's hard to screw up Jerky. Goose Jerky is the best. If you want to go the commercial route get some High Mountain jerky seasoning :tu :tu

8. grinner

grinner Senior Refuge Member

Once it is smoked does it have to remain refridgerated? And is the receipe above considered a brine?

9. grinner

grinner Senior Refuge Member

Once smoked does must the jerky remain refridgerated? Is the above receipe considered a brine?

10. Jimbob

I have vacuum sealed it and kept it out, but I'd refrigerate it to be safe. I have noticed some white mold forming on it if the seal is not perfect. No, it's not a brine, there's no curing agent.