Need Input on Running Dark & Snow Goose Decoys Together

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by SCTC, Jan 16, 2018.

1. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

In the last few years, we have a more common situation with hunting snows and dark geese at the same time. Has anybody figured out the right setup for a decoy spread that seems to work on both birds. We ran 7 doz. dark and 7 doz. snow goose decoys on our last hunt and we didn't get the looks we had hoped from either species. Initially, we had the bulk of the snows separate from the darks but later changed up to mix them up more but nothing seemed to be the magic setup. Granted, we are hunting late season birds that have seen it all but this is a new situation for us with so many snows around now. We did alright on the small flocks and singles/doubles but the big flocks didn't really give us much of a look. We killed 21 dark and 5 snows for 7 guys so not a total failure but nowhere near the 70 we could legally take. I would appreciate others input on what has worked in your experiences.

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

snows are finicky. focus on the specks, and take what you can get on the snows until the CO rolls around.

3. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

Don't mix them they don't hang together move snows off to side and pass shoot

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

7 dozen snows is nowhere near enough decoys to get snows especially flocks to give you a look - singles and pairs yes but not flocks. Snows like big numbers. We run minimum 150 full bodies (ordering 6 dozen more) with goal to get to 300 plus full body snows, 400 socks and hundred shells in snows. We run about 5 dozen specs. If darks are specs it can be done, honkers unless they are squeakers don't really like a snow spread.

5. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

When he says darks he’s talking about Canada’s. The snows we have now aren’t use to getting pressured with big decoy spreads yet, in our area.
    I know a couple guys that whacked the snows this weekend with 4 dz full bodies, they had been using the field for a few days prior though

DOUBLECLUCKER likes this.
  6. fboutdoors

fboutdoors Senior Refuge Member

We run 600 snow socks on the back side of our pit and run 4 dz Canadas in front and around our pit and kill snows, specks, and Canadas We leave a 10 yd gap between snows and Canadas. When spring hits we pull the canadas and jump to 1700 socks.

7. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

When I run a combo spread It usually consists of 10-15 dozen darks with 1-2 dozen snows. I spread out the snows in 3 packs throughout the spread and have one 6-8 pack at the head of the spread. To many snow dekes and the darks don't like it but with a few I think it helps with small white groups. The white birds around me are ross not snows though.

8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Over 1000 fb snows and 100 to 200 speck fb.. Usually separate the specks in groups..here and there lol. The specks will almost always go to the noise.... that's one of the things... I love about specks. :yes Or, go big on socks...