Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Need some advice on Freelance Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Hroonk, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Hroonk

Hroonk Elite Refuge Member

Excuse me for brining this up again guys, but I'm trying to plan a trip to Canada with some buddies. We're from Md and want to freelance. From everything I've read in searches, it can be tough getting permission on lands East of Manitoba. It looks like we're in for a long drive.

Can anyone offer some general advice. We have 8 guys going so it looks like we'll be taking 2 vehicles. From the searches, it looks like everyone heads for Saskatoon and then fans out from there. Can anyone be a little more specific about what areas to hunt? How much is lodging up that way in general? How many decoys do you typically use....if the logistics become too much of a trouble, we may have to look into a guide, but would rather not....we're on a very stict budget and like the satifsfaction of doing it ourselves. Does Manitoba get specks? What's the best time of year for the major push of all species? And most importantly, has anyone done this before who would like to going our party and show a bunch of goose-killing fools from Md where to go?

I'm gonna post this again on a couple boards so thanks for any help.

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Manitoba does get specks, mostly in the western part of the province. In and around Brandon/whitewater area. Places to start looking for birds in Manitoba are,

Whitewater Lake
    Delta Marsh
    Netley Marsh
    In and around Minnidosa (sp)

There are alot of other "better" areas to hunt, but you will need major equipment to get at them. The areas I listed are places where you just need a canoe or are able to walk in. In Delta you can't use any kind of motor boat.

Best time to come is around the begining of October or so.

If there is anything else just ask.

3. Coach 10

Coach 10 New Member

I hunted the Russell, Maintoba area in October 2002 with Randy Lewis Outfitters. He is a top notch guide. He already had permission on numerous fields, and exclusive permission on some. We had kicked around the idea of freelancing, but ended up completely satisfied with Randy. We did have to drive around a bit, but each time, we were in the middle of good shooting, and usually we heard no other shooting at all. We had to move to the Shoal Lake/Minnedosa area one day to follow the birds after a cold spell. The last day, it snowed 5 inches and we went west to the Sasketchewan border for Canada geese. We never had to scout or ask permission. That in itself allowed us much more time in the field. You can try freelancing if you want, but I know that I will take advantage of the simplicity of a guide service.

Coach

http://www.mts.net/~rlewis1/

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The white geese and specks move out of the north is really dependent on the weather conditions in the North. I live in Northern Mb (north of 53rd parallell) and the snows generally start moving in about the 2nd week of sept and have moved through by 1st week of Oct. Highest bird concentrations are here in 3rd week of September. Most of the birds move to south of province and stage, sometimes not leaving until November, but can move out as early as mid -October, all dept on weather. Your safest bet would probably be last week of Sept or 1st week of Oct for either southern SK or MB. You can still be off +/- a week or two , year to year. An undiscovered area that you may want to look into is SE SK, west of Russell MB. There tends to be little pressure and few hunters around the Yorkton area, but I have seen plenty of birds, especially NE of there. All you have to find is water. Remember also, that in SK, you do not have to ask permission to hunt on farmland unless it is posted. In MB, you must obtain permission first before hunting. Flip a coin and either pick SW MB or SE SK , make sure you have good binoculars, local landowner maps and phonebooks and away you go. Enjoy your trip to CN.
    ps. If anyone has a membership in waterfowler.com, you may want to review the posts in the field reports over the last 4 seasons. They will give you better info on the exact timing of bird arrivals in different parts of the praries.

5. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

I dont know the laws up there.....but dont the farmers still appreciate it when you ask?
    I hunt the Saskatoon area the second week in Sept. More snows than you can shake a stick at. A few specks and canadas. Are you dead set on freelancing?? First time I went I thought I would get a guide to check it out and then freelance. After using the guide I decided it was the only way to go. If ya want my reasonings....shoot me a PM. If not.....good luck and have fun. :D

6. NORSKE

NORSKE Senior Refuge Member

you hunt farmland anywhere in Sask or Alberta without permission wheather it is posted or not and you could find yourself checking out the inside of a jail.

This is not N Dakota YOU NEED PERMISSION PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

Going into a field without permission is exactly one of the reasons there is a move afoot to ban freelance hunters.

NORSKE

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Norske , I could be wrong, but I thought permission was required only in MB an Alberta, but was not required by law in SK. I always ask permission, and I always bring a bottle of homemade wine, or a bottle of whisky, a hat or something in appreciation. It always guarantees you an invite the next year.

8. GANDER LANDER

GANDER LANDER Senior Refuge Member

We freelance in canada. And If you do, dont take anyones advice that says you dont need permission.For one thing its the right thing to do and another reason is how do you now if that farmer hasnt already given permisson for somone else to hunt it.
    We have farmers asking us in the resturants if we will please hunt there feilds.
    If you treat people up there with respect you will not have a hard time finding a feild to hunt.Same as anywhere.

SHOOT STRAIGHT