Need some help guys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by IAsnow goose, Jul 19, 2004.

1. IAsnow goose

IAsnow goose Elite Refuge Member

I recently started shooting a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum.......I want to shoot it becasue of the 3 1/2" capability.....but I cant hit crap with it...I dont know what the deal is......but I have been shooting a Mossberg 600(not 500) for about 3 years now and can hit all kinds of ducks and geese with it...but it only shoots 2 3/4" and 3"...what should I do??...Keep shooting the Remington and see how it works during the season...or can I really kill honkers with 3"??....thanks...IAsg

2. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

You can surely kill honkers with a 3 inch magnum. Have you tried patterning your gun? What size shot or you using? What choke? All guns shoot/pattern different. My nephew shoots a modified in his and spanks snows and specks with 3 1/2 BB and 1 's.

3. IAsnow goose

IAsnow goose Elite Refuge Member

I havent tryed patterning guns...for target shooting on the Remington Ive been using 7 or 8 shot and and an extra full choke.....on the Mossberg its the same shot size but a modified choke....

4. carolinaduckhunter

carolinaduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

IA, I take my gun and try to pattern it using what shells I am shooting most ie...goose bb's or 1's. I put up a target with a goose that is approx life size and move back approx the distance I should be shooting from. Then I aim at the body and fire. Then based on the pattern I know whether or not that gun is going to shoot that particular shot size well enough for geese or ducks. I try other size that would be suitable then make a determination. Who knows if your gun puts more shoot to the left when shooting dead on then you have to compensate for that in your lead......my $.02 worth.

5. KDW

KDW Senior Refuge Member

well thats probly why you cant hit crap is because u have an extra full choke on there! throw a modified, or something close to a modified on and it will make a world of difference. and if you plan on hunting you at leaste owe it to the birds you are shooting at to pattern the gun, so you know you maximum effective range and/or if the gun is even enough to kill them at close range. also stated before a three in shell is PLEANTY enough to take geese with. the only reason i use the 3.5 " is for the little added range and a few more pellets. on my benelli nova i put 70-80 pellets in a 30 inch circle and 50 yards( more than enough)...... but i can consistantly kill geese to 60-65 yards...( not sky busting...)

well hope that helped

kade

6. AL-IA

AL-IA Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like we need to pattern the gun, bring it up sometime...I have the patterning paper, you will need to bring all the chokes, and several different types of 3" and 3.5" goose ammo... in , BBB's... BB's... #1's.. and #2's or Whatever you got ....AL-IA

7. Call'em N

Call'em N Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I am with KDW on this one. Get that X-Full out and put in a Mod or Imp Cyl in it.

8. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

but ALL the geese I harvested last year were taken with 3" shells. I will say that I shoot a lot of trap, and my hunting gun shoots to the same point of impact as my trap guns. How do I know? PATTERNING Put that thing on paper and see where it is shooting in relation to where you are looking. I forgot to mention; Remington 870 Express with the Factory modified choke.

9. Mark Moreland

Mark Moreland Elite Refuge Member

A 3" chambered gun is plenty to goose hunt with.Your problem is the choke,and not knowing how that gun patterns with different loads.You need to take AL-IA up on his offer,I'm sure he can help you out........

10. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I'll suggest something other than patterning....

Have you checked to see if the gun really fits you? It wouldn't matter if you had the most dense and even pattern possible if, without realizing it, you were pointing the gun 2 feet behind the bird.

I took my 870 to a gunsmith when I had the same problem as you, and in 2 seconds he told me the problem. The stock had the wrong cast - that stock should have been put on a left-handed gun.

He shimmed the stock about 1/16 inch and my shooting improved a lot.

If you have a shop near you with people that know shotguns, it would be worth a quick stop before you shoot up a lot of shells patterning.

And yes, 3" is plenty for geese if your gun throws a good pattern where you want it to hit.

Paul