Need some help on crappie fishing...........

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by goosnit, Feb 9, 2018.

1. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

I'm not a big fisherman but I would like to try crappie fishing . What are your favorite crappie rigs that you use through out the year using a single pole ? Can you use a jig with a bobber ? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated . Can you tell I don't fish . :nutz:nutz

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I like the old reliable Carolina rig :)

3. goosnit

Don't shoot the messenger , I don't know what's a Carolina rig is , but I'll look it up . Thanks

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  4. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

If using only 1 pole (rod) and if you have even a small boat/canoe/kayak it is hard to beat a small minnow or curltail jig under the smallest bobber that will float the minnow (with small splitshot) or jig. Fish standing timber. Bank fishing can be good when crappie spawn coincident with daffodils starting to bloom.

California Flyway and goosnit like this.
  5. goosnit

Let me ask you this , does jig size or hook size matter ? If so , what size ?

6. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

Yes jig and hook size matter but there is quite a wide range that can work depending on situation. As best as I can recall (I am away from my tackle right now) I use size 6 or 8 hooks/jugs for springtime bank fishing or spider line trolling but downsize to 12 or even 14 in January/February here in Eastern NC. monofilament line size is more important, I use 4 or 6 pound test to catch crappie 2 or 3 lb at JordanLake.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Down here, jig and bobber is a good setup. Light jig head with a monkey milk jig catches a good many. Slow retrieve over structure. Finding correct depth is a key. If you can’t get a bite over structure, change to minnows, if available.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I vertical jig when fishing cover more than about 4 feet deep (a lot will depend on water clarity). Vertical jigging is using a long pole and dropping the jig straight down through the cover. When they get more shallow, I'll cast a jig and float with a spinning rod. Use the lightest float possible, cast past the cover and retrieve it through slowly. Often it's good to let the jig sit still in the cover for several seconds. 1/16 ounce is my go to jig weight. Color is sometimes important and sometimes not. Chartreuse and white is the main color I use in my home lake, but a friend of mine swears by blue and white on the same water.

Hook size is mostly determined by the weight of the jig. Also, using a loop knot will get you more bites as it allows the jig to always swim parallel.

DEADEYE likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Oh, and buy jig heads and bodies in bulk packs. You're going to lose a bunch of them, and that's especially true when getting started .

10. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Chartreuse or mixed with any other color.