Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Need some help with a list...

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by wetfootguide, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Chris Nicolai

Chris Nicolai Elite Refuge Member

When I banded puddle ducks for 6 years on the Yukon Delta, AK, we had to pull feather samples for all the greenwings we banded. This was in August and they were as brown as could be. Sure enough more than 10% of what we banded were Eurasian Teal and another 10% were Aleutians. Would have never suspected that until the genetics came back.......

Kind of makes for some tough band recovery analyses.....

Nice pic too Eric!

2. Chesapeakie

Chesapeakie Elite Refuge Member

Eric, I did that in Powerpoint. Great pic of the crazy eider, looks like a cross between King Eider and maybe a Spectacled ?

3. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Nice Kingdacled. Where from? Very unique. Thanks for the picture.

4. Chris Nicolai

Come on guys, what makes you think Spec? I give it Polysticta.......

5. Duckboyoregon

Duckboyoregon Elite Refuge Member

Woodsie - re: your hermi barrows - In captivity - when birds reach unusually old ages (wild birds tend to not live nearly as long as captive birds for obvious reasons) the females stop producing female hormones and start producing the male hormones and begin transforming (plumage wise) into hermi or half male/female colorations - they never actually become male of course - but I have seen several hen red golden pheasants that at first glance look like males - and I had one female barrows that was 18 years old that started to get male coloration on the face -

Waterfowler - WOW WOW WOW VERY VERY COOL - Love that you posted that SWEEEEEEEEEEEET definately made my monday - i've been pooring over paperwork on the computer all day (frying my brain and my eyes) its been fun to jump back and forth and see this discussion -

Eric - I totally agree with you on the upland transplants - but I guess thats why I brought up the euro wigeon - its not a "random" visitor like the others - I see a dozen of them every year for the last 20 years - so I always wonder why its not always on peoples native list - its not just a rare visitor - its a regular - in fact I'd say you have just as much luck shooting a euro as you do a snow **** - with that - its ironic i've never shot one myself.

6. Chris Nicolai

There is a strong feeling among biologists that Euro's are breeding in NA. Just no one has found a nest YET..... But wigeon are tough to work on as they are primarily a boreal bird. Not many studies going on in the boreal. It sucks to work in.....

7. schmidte217

schmidte217 Senior Refuge Member

Pic is from one of my random image searches, and is Spectacled X King, great guesses guys! I have another I've posted here before a long time ago (Common eider X Mallard):tu I'll have to post that up again.

Eric

8. schmidte217

schmidte217 Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]

Eric

9. Chris Nicolai

Dang, I wouldn't have given it a spec at all...... That black eye dot is throwing me..... Captive bird or some of those Norway flocks in the wild?

10. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

See, I told you a Mallard would cross with anything :l I forgot about you posting that before. Don't they make a unique cross? Love the hybrids.

Albifrons, the grey color is the givaway for the Spectacled, but I can see why the eye threw you. Had to go with the bill shape also.