Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Need some help with a list...

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by wetfootguide, Aug 19, 2007.

1. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

Heres what we found out, with a ton of help from The Waterfowler, and other.
    Its at the middle of the thread.
    W.:tu
    http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=465982&highlight=Hermaphrodite

2. schmidte217

schmidte217 Senior Refuge Member

I know, those things even with a common eider:eek: The other pic of the spectacled X king is an awesome bird, too bad it's in some captive pen waiting to die during the breeding season I wouldn't doubt:cry But pretty sure it's from a collection over in Europe, don't know for sure but man that would be about the pinnacle of hybrids as far as that goes. Of course a steller's X spectacled would rank a little higher;)

Eric

3. schmidte217

Chesepeakie:

Is that something you printed out from the slide layout page? I'll have to go in and mess around with that later, the view is awesome and in powerpoint the possibilites are almost limitless on what you could do! I'm just curious as to the steps...

Eric

4. wetfootguide

wetfootguide Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for all the help fellas. I must admit I was kind of stoked to get a 3 page post. That's a first for me.

We already have a good start on the collection, but I can see problems arising already. The seaducks are going to be very difficult to collect, as most guys from around here that travel to collect those ducks keep them for their personal collections. Same goes for those species/subspecies that are limited to specific ranges.

Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Later,
    Kev

5. schmidte217

I came across this one on a quick search. And noticed what seems to be a pattern ensuing

[​IMG]

Shows the same deal with the large black area around the eye, would suspect it is something involving the King's genetics since that is the only common denominator?

And look at all those borealis:eek: Like to see well actually everything come in that's in that pic on an east coast eider hunt.

Eric

6. Gaudi

Gaudi Elite Refuge Member

That list is missing the mexican duck....

7. Gaudi

Gaudi Elite Refuge Member

anas diazi (mexican duck)
    Body: Large duck, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 pounds, 19 - 22 inches long. Dark appearance similar to Mottled Duck. Head and neck buffy with distinct streaking. Bill of male yellow to greenish yellow; female bill orange with black spots or blotches. Feet orange to reddish orange. Wings: Purplish blue to greenish blue speculum bordered with black and white bars on leading and trailing edges. White bar on leading edge sometimes indistinct or buffy. Voice: Female, loud quack; male, low raspy rink. In Flight: Similar to Black and Mottled ducks. Note: Restricted to Trans-Pecos of Texas, Western New Mexico and Eastern Arizona.

8. Chesapeakie

Chesapeakie Elite Refuge Member

Gaudi

Mexican Duck (Anas Diazi) used to be a seperate species, some text even considered it a sub-species of Mottled Duck. Not any longer.

It has been reclassified as a Sub-Species of Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos).

The new official name of Mexican Duck is (Anas platyrhynchos diazi).

I had to make modifications to my list as well. Cross checked it today with American Ornothologist's Union. It is official.

Shot this bad boy Mexican Duck drake in Los Mochis back in 2002.

[​IMG]

9. schmidte217

Oz,

Awesome bird, sometimes I really wonder how many people have them in their collection? I would venture to think there are many more harlequins in collections than them..

Gaudi,

I have visited the webpage you got that description from many of times;) And you know that part in there where it talks about "White bar on leading edge sometimes indistinct or buffy" that was a savor for the in the field identification on the mexican duck after I shot her. But in reality, it bugged the living crap out of me not knowing for 100% sure what it was until comparison to a mallard hen shot later, and later an examination of the patterns on the chest feathers:l I think I may have problems when it comes to these birds, is there a program or a certain amount of steps to take or something:sp

Eric

10. Chesapeakie

Chesapeakie Elite Refuge Member

Eric,

I agree that these birds do not get there full share of recognition. I love'em all. Here is a Texas Mottled Duck that I shot in 2004.

[​IMG]

For color comparison here is the Florida Duck that I shot in Lake Okeechobee this past January.

[​IMG]