Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Need some lease advice

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by The Other David, Nov 21, 2017.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

We are negotiating with the landowner where we hunt, near Winchester. 50 acres, about 25 of that huntable, mixed woods and pasture. No crops but plenty of corn in the area.

There is good deer hunting, and a pond that holds a few ducks and geese. We have been hunting it for over a decade, trading work for hunting.

But the work never seems to end, his wife hates us, and we are studying our options.

They want to charge us $1000 each (5 of us) to hunt it, and we don't think it is worth that much.

The deer hunting is great for taking does (which I prefer), but not many big bucks.

The duck/goose hunting is fair, at best. We will have 2-5 really good hunts all season. About 80% of the time we shoot something, but that is usually 1 or two birds.

I am finding some information online, and that info makes me think that $1000 each is way out of line.

Would you share your thought with me, please?

Thanks,
    David

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Start looking for something else

3. The Other David

We think that is a good idea. Any suggestions?

4. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    It seems a little steep, Straight out, 25 acres of huntable land for $5K; that's $200 an acre! Is the hunting that good to justify the cost? Is hunting with the four other guys worth it ( i.e. are you best buddies and look forward to getting together 4 or 5 times a year at the place, hang out at the farm does it have a camp? or do you just pull up hunt the 25 acres and leave.. Could you guys spend that 5K on guided hunts and have better success and a better time? Even $2500 would be steep for 25 acres ( what's wrong with the other 25 acres? vertical slope?) Think about your per bird cost and per deer cost...

5. chesapeakebill

chesapeakebill Senior Refuge Member

I think that is a little steep.
    We pay less than that for 100 acres. About 75% field and the rest woods.It has room for a couple of deer hunters, water bling and field pit.
    Pretty good hunting.
    I am not sure if that is cheap either but it shows that there are better deals out there.

6. chesapeakebill

chesapeakebill Senior Refuge Member

7. The Other David

Barns, horse fields, houses, and a lot of crap (old tractor trailers, etc) occupy much of the land.

8. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

Don’t just walk- I would just respectfully offer much less. Tell them why, but be nice about it.

I assure you someone will pay that amount- sadly. So if he holds you are done.But worth a shot if you like the place.

9. The Other David

Yes, we like it. We are countering with $25 per acre, pretending all 50 acres are huntable. Thanks.

10. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Elite Refuge Member

Sounds reasonable, worst thing that can happen is him saying no- good luck!