Need some simplistic advice on Sunflowers for doves.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by csparks, Mar 24, 2019.

1. csparks

csparks New Member

Firstly, I'm not a dove hunter. I raise some cows, and have a meadow that I cut hay from. As it has a nearby pond, roost areas, etc, my brother (who does dove hunt) suggested I plant some sunflowers to draw those birds in.

So, I am doing this as simple, easy, and cheaply as I can. I have tried to study, but get frustrated with different varieties, pre-emergents, post emergents, and the cost of these things.

I have taken my tractor tiller, and tilled some areas along the edges of the hayfield, plus a couple areas I don't generally cut. This will be behind an electric fence, so it won't get eaten down. Total tilled area maybe an acre, but it stretches in 8 ft rows here and there in an area of about 10 acres.
    I planned to broadcast seed into this well tilled strip, then drag over it. Right now, my plan is to use a pre-emegent that is not horribly expensive, I think Treflan or Prowl, then go ahead and buy the semi-expensive Clearfield seed. I'll fertilize this at the same time are the bermuda hayfield it shares.

Now, the confusing part. I believe I'll need a post emergent. For Clearfield seed they recommend using Beyond. Incredibly expensive, and sold only in 2.5 gallons, as far as I can find. There is something called Poast. It seems to be an old timer. I could cheaply spray with that, and it is mentioned for use with sunflowers.

Is this a viable plan for this lark of a project?

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

If you have deer in the area, they will wipe out your small planting. If it were me (and it's not) I would make a run at a millet variety or just top sow wheat before the season opens.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Browntop millet

4. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

What about buckwheat for doves - good, no good?, anyone know?

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Browntop w/o question is good. Buckwheat is also good and grows quickly, around 45 days.

6. thatguy2

I planted it for doves 2 years ago. Mowed it down and shot the crap out of them in it.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  7. csparks

csparks New Member

I've had lots of people mention millet. That leaves me stuck with whether to do that, or just plant the sunflowers he'd asked for. Plus, now my wife wants to see all the pretty sunflowers.

8. thatguy2

Ive tried a small sunflower plot previously using black oil sunflowers. The deer cleaned them out long before any deer had a chance at it.

9. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think the size of the area your doing the deer are likely to eat the sunflowers. To do it cheaply to see if it works for you buy a bag of blackoil sunflower seed. It has a very low germination rate but you will have seed germination. I would recommend you plant buckwheat. I actually do a mixture in my dove fields. Sunflowers, grain sorghum, millet, Partridge pea, and buckwheat. Sometimes do a mixture with spring oats.

If you want a pretty field of sunflowers get clear field. If you want a field to shoot some dove in it doesn't need to be that complicated.

10. Hydeboy

Hydeboy Refuge Member

My sunflower experience was mixed. When the field was clean, bare dirt underneath the flowers it was off the hook. When it was grassy, weedy no good. Even mowing the flowers and weeds did no good.

Bear absolutely love sunflowers though, either weedy or clean.

Wife did like the sunflowers.

Attached Files: