Need trainer/training advice

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Sandshark, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Sandshark

Sandshark New Member

Just got a new pup and wondered-----when should I start gun dog training, should I train him myself admitting I have never done that before and if yes, what program is best for owner training? Lastly if owner training fails is there a good gun dog trainer near Crisfield, Maryland that anyone can recommend.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Train him yourself and keep it simple at first. Too much information can be overwhelming. In addition, the first several weeks will
    be more fun if you avoid getting swamped with advice. Two easy rules to follow are keep it simple and avoid mistakes. The second one is more difficult because of not knowing what mistakes look like.

The following link will provide a solid start and allow you some time to "see the path". In addition, a good mentor is wonderful.....finding one is not that easy. Sometimes you get lucky with that. :yes Most of all think about working at being an exciting, fun teaching trainer.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/soberet...MI5IWW66qb1wIVAg9pCh2BeA8REAAYASAAEgK-vfD_BwE

3. fnsret

fnsret Refuge Member

There are a few nice clubs around in Maryland: First State Retriever Club is great (MD and DE), Maryland Retriever Club, Del Bay Retriever club, Talbot Retriever Club. There also is a NAHRA Club in Eastern Shore of MD. First State has training days once a month and have a active facebook page where you can post.. I would contact these clubs for people in your area that train. Go out and meet these people and offer to help and throw birds and gather information. The key is joining a group and learn from others. There are a few good programs and videos. Sound beginnings by Jackie Mertens, Smartworks by Evan Graham, Mike Lardy's videos and Farmer/Aycock Retriever Training problems, Bill Hillman videos. The programs people usually follow is Lardy.Graham and Hillman. (No particular order). I would see if you can contact groups first, go out and learn and decide a little later if you want to send your pup away. At this point, I would try to gather everything myself first. If you send the pup away you may not learn much. Just my opinion.Also, post in the Chesapeake Forum for people to train with and meet people, don't rush!!! enjoy your puppy time and let the puppy be a puppy!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  4. Sandshark

Sandshark New Member

5. Sandshark

Sandshark New Member

Thanks Jim. I will check this out today.

6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Just my opinion but train him yourself if your circumstances allow time to do it. As a puppy all the basics can be taught in your yard. Force fetch further down the rd. can be done at home. You,ll need space after that for casting drills and of course access to water. Don,t think you,ll have a problem with that one around Crisfield. The pride you,ll get and bond you,ll obtain with that dog will be well worth your effort. You will need to purchase a good e collar. Having trained my first 3 retreivers and a couple bird dogs without one I can tell you threy,re worth their weight in gold when used properly. Lots of good books and videos out there to teach you how to train. Something as simple as Richard wolters book waterdog can get you started. Figureing out the stumbleing blocks is the hardest part but given the patience you,ll learn as well as the dog!