Needing a kennel cover.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by DWB5, Nov 21, 2017.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Ok thanks

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

At what temperature would you feel the need for a kennel cover? I have a shell on my truck with the crate inside, and granted most of Northern Ca is not all that cold, but the northern part of the state can get chilly. It was 12 the other morning when we left the truck. I've gone cheap and used an old blanket when we head north.

3. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

When it is cold enough to make my hands cold when hunting, I figure the dogs need a kennel cover although the breeze behind the cab isn't the same as it would be if the crates were all the way to the back of the pick-up box. I usually put my covers on the crates by the first of November and leave them on until the end of December when pheasant season ends here in SD!!
    air temperature would be in the 40's or lower. My labs coats are pretty thick. My son's shorthair needs a cover on his crate in September or October. He also spends his evenings in the garage all year round.

4. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Really impressed with the mud river cover that I ordered. I put it on the kennel last night. Nice and heavy, durable and plenty of misc storage space.

5. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Buy the Mud River. I did a ton of research when I was buying mine and it doesn't get any better. Had mine going on 4+ years and it still is in incredible shape.

6. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

I am on my 2nd Mud River. And have very few complaints. The first one lasted about 12 years never coming off the kennel. And it stayed out in the weather and sun for most of that always in the back of the truck. At about the 10 year mark the fabric was showing deterioration due to the weather effects and things like the tie downs started to tear off. But, like I said, it never comes off. In the summer, I just take off the side windows and keep the door rolled up. Add a fan and my dog never gets hot. So with this new one I got this summer, I waxed it like a canvas jacket. It should make the fabric more rain repellent, and I hope to see more/longer use out of it. But I am not going to treat it any better than I did the last one. Other than maybe rewaxing it next fall.

My only issues with the Mud River are these.
    It will fade to a grey color in a year or two. So I wish the external fabric was something as sturdy, but with a touch more longevity. The sun plays hell on the fabric.
    They could have added some more velcro to "tie down" the loose stuff when the door is zipped up.
    Otherwise, great product.

7. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Well I hope I didn't waist any of you time. I end up going with the insulated heritage cover. With me being out of work I had a tight budget. But thank you for all the help. If this one doesn't do well I will definitely go with the mud river. Thanks again guy's. Hope you and your dogs have a great hunting season!