NeedThoughts on cold water entry

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by duckbuster5901, Feb 1, 2018.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

My little 65 lb.choc. lb female is in her first season retrieving in cold water this year. Only a year old last of dec. Had preformed beautifully until water temps dropped extremely quick. First hunt after water temp dropped to just above freezing had a refusal to enter I,m positive was caused by water temp. Refusal was corrected and started working a lot on cold water retrieving drills during training sessions. Any thing I,m missing that I should be doing other than repeated training in cold water? Shes still a little balky on first entry but straightens up after initial entry.

2. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

Are you following any training program???? If so, which one??

Drills for water aren't usually productive in cold water............just saying.

3. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Are you training with a neoprene vest on the dog!!
    If you are, kudos for taking care of your dog!!
    If not, try handling your dog when cold water training in shorts and a tshirt.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

I would not force in cold water at this stage because you will create more issues than benfits. I agree that with very cold water a vest will help. I think Lardy has combined water/air temps total 80 deg F when water training ( not hunting) that's where you can do swim by etc and have tools needed to later on. One year old in cold water force = bad water attitude.IMHO

Jeff

Doc E likes this.
  5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Yes to the vest. Mainly to keep her warm when hunting between retrieves. Been training midday at warmest point and think she actually handles cold water better with out vest . Mainly because its sunny and I allow her to run a bit and shake between dips .Also work her on doubles in tall grass cover to warm up a bit after each water entry.

6. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

:tu

7. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Dog in heat or near?

Sometimes that makes a difference ... don't like to get their hootchie cold.

x2 to the neoprene.

3ds

8. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Lardy's "rule" is 120 F°'s total (air plus water) and generally no training when the water temperature is less than 60°F.

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If people followed those rule where we live, then we would never train -- ever.

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

The only reason I posted was the Lardy rule was "described". Whether anyone follows that is a different "story". It is fairly well accepted that
    that if you are going to work on swim-by and cheating, doing so when water and air temperatures are "unreasonable" (referring to DW's
    point) potential issues may occur.

I live in northern Illinois and don't go south to train in the winter. Al large chunk of the yearly weather makes us the 120 degrees easy to
    apply. Yet there are some that even when the rule is easily applied will not plan ahead. I do single T in the early spring and swim-by
    in the fall because the weather "fits."