Nelson Lagoon....Alaska over the top

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Birdtaxidermy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Birdtaxidermy

Birdtaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

This had been a long awaited passage for myself. Reaching back from the Waterfowler's stories and images of such a place kept an ongoing nagging in my mind as to what this destination really was like. Having attended many of the wonderful places Alaska offers for sea fowl, the birds here satisfied a taste that I new would be sweeter... So much more flavorful and rare than all the rest.. Im not quite sure if the pan seared Eider was that much better, but in my mind it was...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Birdtaxidermy

This being the fourth year of Wingshooter Safaris Joint venture with (Apicda) Aleution Pribiloff Island Community Development Association, has grown, produced and opened a venue of usage for the local development of hidden Jewels such as the Nelson program. When I tell you ultimate accommodation and friendliness... It is an understatement. Every single person that we encountered from Cold bay to Nelson Lagoon were overwhelmingly "all in" with the program.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad Boy Rays Cabin
    [​IMG]

3. Birdtaxidermy

Oh yeah.... I forgot about the birds!!! Our standard program begins the first of November, and continues through about the 3rd week. The targeted specie is the V-Nigra (Alaskan Pacific Common Eider). It gets its label from the black V under the chin. Its size and weight are among the largest of all Eiders.
    [​IMG]

These birds gather in MASSIVE congregation within the lagoon (probably the largest concentration of quality birds to be found anywhere along the chain).

[​IMG]

Studies reveal that most all of the V Nigra depart the Lagoon at the end of November and head out to sea. Our mission was to experience the late version of this hunt and to document numbers of sea birds at this latter date. To our dismay, most all of the V Nigra had left. There were scattered numbers of them in the lagoon. I never thought I would say this but... the dreaded King Eiders littered the decoys.. Go figure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Birdtaxidermy

Along with the Kings were Hundreds of Longtail, Stellars Eider, White Winged Scoter, Emperor Geese, and Black Scoter.
    (A mere fraction of the THOUSANDS that were there a few weeks before)

[​IMG]

As Mike Hruby labeled them "The Arctic Teal"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pass Shooting the Beach was effective with the 30 plus wind gusts. Flocks of Sea ducks were ripping by en route to a Bering Sea buffet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MASTERS

MASTERS Senior Refuge Member

Truly amazing! Come on 2014:tu

6. Birdtaxidermy

Even with 30-40 gusts on the Bering, this is what the Lagoon would look like despite the constant roar. This was Merles view from the peninsula.
    [​IMG]

On the other side...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She did give up the spoils, but not willingly. We refrained from the littered flocks of longtail and scoters... awaiting the opportunity to present itself...

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, mature Kings increased daily... The late opportunity presented more Kings than Common. One Clean, One a bit dirty. They were both Delicious.
    [​IMG]
    I will have more in the upcoming days.... Enjoy!!!!

7. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

Awesome! Great Pics...

8. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

I'm still mentally in Nelson Lagoon, Shane. I absolutely felt at home there. I'll be sending my birds to you soon and I look forward to a drive to AL later next year to talk about many more of the opportunities this season opened up for more guys to experience. Ironically enough it was just the opposite for us; Pacifics swarming and we saw one King drake.

Great pictures and story........gotta funny feeling getting there will be a waiting list once folks see what the Alaskan Peninsula is really like. Saint Paul looms for me again soon; but I'm already setting my sights on getting back to Nelson soon thereafter.

Could be the trip you and I make together.......:tu

Again....thank you for your expertise and time on setting this up for us. First class deal 110%!!!!

9. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

The grilled V-Nigra with the Nelson "glaze" was 4 star as well!!!!

Most people I know would kill to have one of those Kings.........:l

10. alaskaduckhunter

alaskaduckhunter New Member

Thanks for sharing the pics and the story, Kinda confirmed what everyone has been saying for years Late November and Early December is a month 2 early for Prime Kings in any numbers. As 98% of the early birds are juveniles and immature hens as your pictures showed. Again Congrats on putting in allot of effort and hardwork on your hunt.

Although I am glad to be going back to Island X this January for another hunt for Prime Kings as St Paul is pretty hard to beat. Were praying for good weather.