Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

F08C76DF-2F77-4C03-8E06-6605FBE851E3.jpeg
    Hadn’t planned on making any additions to the woodduck box array this spring, but a good friend gave me a pair of woodduck boxes. (Thanks MJ) so they will likely find new homes here at the lake. #8 and #9 respectively. Most likely over the water sets, but the neighbor has asked about putting one in their yard, so we will see.

The other 4 are making the long trip to my parents to start a new complex. The holes are cut to accommodate goldeneyes. It’s a large marsh area we have been talking about starting a nest box project for years but never had the motivation. There were goldeneyes nesting in the area last year, so it’s worth a shot. If nothing else the hooded mergansers will put them to use.

Anyone else making additions this spring?

dukejb and callinfowl like this.
  2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Curious as to where you are located such that you have nesting goldeneye.

3. Neighbor Guy

Those boxes will be in Extreme Northern MN. At the intersection of MN, Ontario, and Manitoba

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I used to manage 12-15 boxes for a long time, and they were great for several years,........... but in my area, I think cavity nesters have higher success with finding natural cavities to nest in. A few years into it, and just about every type of predator (mammals, birds, and reptiles)recognizes that boxes indicate there will be free groceries inside.

5. Neighbor Guy

6ADF0875-8F08-43D0-B861-A88BB27A84B9.jpeg 1F6B44EF-DA0E-4479-B8F0-A51FF1AE90E7.jpeg

First two boxes installed this afternoon. We will finish putting in the other 4 tomorrow. Going to put all 6 from the build picture in this complex this year. Once the season is over we will decide if we add any additional next year. In my experience it usually takes a couple years for them to become established.

These are the first that my brother have helped to install. So it’s a new experience for him. Still several feet of snow to dig through. Ice travel is best described as sketchy. So it had to get done this weekend or it wouldn’t have been done.

callinfowl and stevena198301 like this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Very cool, I want to make some mallard nesting tubes to stick around the marsh I hunt.
    Have you ever made any mallard tubes?

7. Neighbor Guy

B10C9207-0958-44F3-BE65-BB0BAE04BAE0.jpeg 47E0A160-123B-4318-B145-2970302FDE7F.jpeg
    I had my brother take the pictures today. My dad even made an appearance in the marsh. Good considering he doesn’t hunt, but he likes to be involved in conservation. We did the final 4 boxes while the snow was still hard enough to walk on top. For a snow perspective, the boxes all measure 5 1/2 - 6’ from the ice.

8. Neighbor Guy

I have tried a couple different types of Mallard tubes, both the hay tubes and the wood tubes. With no success, 5/year trial. I know of a few guys who have good luck with them though.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget the predator guards!!!

bullpinnie likes this.
  10. Neighbor Guy

In my experience predator cones are a waste of time, energy, and money on these set ups. They are placed over water and mounted on galvanized poles 5 1/2-6’ off the surface. Any raccoon or otter with wet feet can’t make the climb. And we don’t have watersnakes in MN.

In all my years of putting boxes over water in this method I have never lost a nest due to predator.

If I was using a cedar post or mounting to a tree, then I would consider a predator cone. Just not for this application.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.