New 25 HP Outboard- E-Tec, Yamaha or Mercury?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Allan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

I know this has been asked before because I have searched the topic, but sometimes things change and improvements are made...so:

If you were to buy a NEW 25 HP outboard motor, what would it be? Will probably be put on a 16x48 jon boat of some kind.

Also, if you bought used, what would it be? I hesitate to buy used since I have never sold a motor I was happy with, but thought I would ask since it might imply longevity.

Thanks

2. Rockfish

Rockfish Elite Refuge Member

If I were to buy new. I'd be looking at Tohatsu also. They offer the 25 in EFI. They also build the small Mercury for them. Once you have EFI you won't want to go back. I got a 15 Suzuki in EFI and love the fact that in the winter it starts right up and stays running . No choke to fool with. Yamaha looks like it doesn't get the EFI until you get into the 30hp.

Mark

3. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Just had a new 25 Suzuki dropped off in the driveway this AM. Sucker is HUGE compared to my old Merc 25. Hope it doesn't rip the transom off my old jon.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Two-stroke Merc.

Heck, for that matter, I'd get a two-stroke if I were buying new, too.

5. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've had Evinrudes for over 60 years and I really have had good luck.

Ringbill

6. MTtracker89

MTtracker89 Refuge Member

I have a new Yamaha 25 on my 16' and it's an all around great motor. Fuel efficient, quiet, good throttle and shift controls, and pushes a heavy boat and me (300 lbs) around 26. That being said, if I had to do it over again, I'd look really hard at an E-tec. 4 strokes just don't have the bottom end torque for quick plane/heavy loads. I have been at the controls of several 4 stroke mercs and didn't care for the power or feel of them.

7. Lslu60

Lslu60 Refuge Member

I've owned 4 strokes and 2 strokes....if your duck huntin....no questions asked go with a 2 stroke ...I have a new 25 etec and it'll haul the mail....my 4 stroke was a terd

8. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

Until you drive the 2015 tohatsu 25hp outboard, don't lump all 4 strokes in the same slug category. I'll put the tohatsu next to any 2 stroke 25 and leave you sitting there, you will never catch me either. I tested the 2015 Tohatsu 25hp 4 stroke. It is a beast. And while Tohatsu builds ALL Nissans outboards and ALL Mercury outboards 30hp; and under, Tohatsu is keeping the gear ratio to themselves for their 25, meaning neither Mercury nor Nissan will run anywhere near the tohatsu.. I also tested the 25hp EFI Suzuki, I would buy the tohatsu, hands down. Tohatsu went from around a 1.85 ratio to a 2.17 ratio in their 2015's. Made an unbelievable difference. Just go test drive one before you spend your hard earned money. I was impressed.
    Feel free to PM me for the test results on both units, the Suzuki and the tohatsu.

Dave Adamson likes this.
  9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

What is the weight on the new(er) four strokes, Tohatsu included? The weights are what steers me away from them until you get up around 60 hp or bigger.

I want a light motor on a smaller duck boat in case I need to push it or pole it through skinny water.

10. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

The weight on the tohatsu starts at 158. That is a short shaft, no trim.