New 25 HP Outboard- E-Tec, Yamaha or Mercury?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Allan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

Should be just like your truck. Regardless of temp, turn the key and go. Has to have a problem to not start in cold weather. I was over 2 strokes 12 years ago, couldn't give me a 2 stroke now if that were the only outboard on earth. Anyone ignoring 4 strokes has not ridden in a newer 4 stroke powered rig. The tohatsu weighs 158 pounds, leave the extra 3 gallons of gas home, you won't need it, now the rig weighs the same.

2. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I know this thread is about 25's, but that new Tohatsu 30 HP is calling my name.

Carry on.

3. dirtyquacker

dirtyquacker Senior Refuge Member

I can hear it from here!

4. 1995 US1

That 30 is a beast.

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Danny, does your opinion change with a 9.9 or 15? I need to repower a bbsb and weight is a huge factor. I need more hp to plane it out but the rear end of the thing sits low in the water now with an old evinrude 4 hp.

6. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

That's what I hear. :tu

Probably not going to pull the trigger on one before this coming season, but come spring I think my 2-stroke, 25 HP Yamaha will likely be for sale.

7. 1995 US1

Smash, I have no opinion on the motors other than the ones I tested. I know zero about their other models. As strange as it may sound, most manufacturers make one or two really good motors of certain sizes. The rest of their line may be slugs, I have no idea why that happens. I know tohatsu focused on the 25hp and 40hp market heavily this past year. The top tohatsu dealer is in Lake Charles, he orders 50 of each size per order, and we are limited to 25 and 40 hp on certain WMA's and (pay to fish) private marshes. Most of his sales are 25 and 40hp. I know that tohatsu bought Honda outboards, so all larger tohatsu units are really rebadged Hondas. I like the 5 year warranty on ALL tohatsu's.

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

chaserB: You say 4 stroke run in cold? I have a Suzuki DF90 that when temp drops to below 30 takes for ever to get going.

Sounds like an issue on that OB. But, I know from experience a 4-stroke that is hard to start and runs at lower rpms can be due to the temperature. At least for me running dino oil it was anything below 10 degrees. Synthetic (mobileOne 10-30) absolutely solved that problem!

9. chaserb31

chaserb31 Senior Refuge Member

Wingmatt,
    Thanks but run synthetic and still problem. Once it starts runs and restarts no problem even when it gets colder, but that first start below 32-30 scares some of my buddies first time out. Afraid we are going to get stuck.

10. Bull-sprig

Bull-sprig Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas on Village Creek the new Hurricane
    Danny, I am not as sharp on boats as autos but don't understand the gear ratio deal. Why doesn't the gear ratio change just call for a different prop and everything equal back out. Higher gear ratio shouldn't pull as much pitch as a lower one but change prop and seems like it should be the same. Can't figure it out.