Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

New 25 HP Outboard- E-Tec, Yamaha or Mercury?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Allan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

That is light for a four-stroke 25, but overweight compared to a two-stroke.
    The weight on my 2002 Merc short shaft manual start (2 stroke) was 114 pounds. That's 44 pounds less hanging off the transom.
    Pick up four 10-pound sacks of sugar, at the same time, the next time you are at the grocery store. Same horsepower with far less weight? No-brainer for me and my requirements.

You are right, bull-sprig, on the gear ratio thing. A numerically-higher gear will just allow you to pull more pitch on the prop, but will spin that prop slower at max rpm than taller gearing combined with less pitch. In the end, it's the horsepower put out by the powerhead that determines performance, providing you can optimize the prop on each engine. And, unless the manufacturers are playing fast and loose with their power numbers (and you can bet their legal department is discouraging THAT), 25 horsepower is 25 horsepower as rated.
    By the way, they make two-strokes with electric start....and oil and filter and cam belt changes and checking valve clearances are not required.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

So how fast would the tohatsu 25 push my edge 1550?

3. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

If it will break 44 i'll order one before close of business

4. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Sponsor Moderator

If you think gear ratio makes no difference, drive a 2014 model tohatsu 25 and then drive a 2015 model. Then come back and talk to me about gear ratios. I have driven both, have you? If not, you are speaking from conjecture not experience. CJ, some of the Arkansas hands have broken the 40mph barrier with a stock 25hp 4 stroke tohatsu. Did it with a prop that is useless except for racing, but, they did it. I tested that unit months ago, before they were released. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Tested it on a 1544 AlWeld boat, it was quick and fast and handled a load very well.
    D

5. Tuleman

It would be useful to know what HULL they did it with. Twenty bucks says it is useless except for racing, also.... Am I right?
    I hit 34mph with my stock Merc 25 (2-stroke) back when I got it, but it was on a small, light (94 pounds empty) semi-vee 'glass hull, so I would imagine 40mph is possible with 25hp when the stars line up.

6. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

Dang well now i wonder what the 30 would do with the additional rpms?

7. 1995 US1

Tule, you are actually wrong. It was done with a 542 Ambush. That is a 15' long 42"bottom, high performance PRODUCTION HULL THAT YOU, I, OR ANYONE CAN BUY. And yes, it is made with .100 aluminum. No tricks. The prop was not a production prop, but it still shows the capabilities of that engine.
    D

8. Tuleman

Then I owe you twenty bucks. Where do I send it?

9. 1995 US1

Buy your wife a present with it. Good to hear from you again.
    D

10. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

What dealer is this? Thanks, Jacob H.