New 25 HP Outboard- E-Tec, Yamaha or Mercury?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Allan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Moderator

That would be Lake Area

2. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

I have a new Suzuki 25hp . DT25ATHS . $4k delivered to the driveway. Been very pleased with it so far. Very quiet and quick throttle response. Although top speed is not a significant factor for me, it pushes my old 1848 at 25 mph with it lightly loaded. I have already warped the tips of the thin aluminum stock prop in hard clay, and will buy a stainless steel one at some point.

The PTT is very nice as I raise the motor to push it back in the brush at the blinds and it helps in shallow running. I am a bit concerned that it appears it does not have a shear pin for when you hit a log, etc. I used to to jump logs and low levees with my Mercury. Guess I better take it easy.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The manufacturers haven't used shear pins on anything over 9hp in a long time. You have a rubber cush hub in the prop that will give a little when the blades strike something solid. It's a much better system than shear pins, in my estimation.(although I once spun the hub.... in a really old prop)
    You still need to take it easy, though....

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

One brand has those removable/replaceable hubs. Not to bad to carry an extra hub if you are real hard on stuff.

5. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

I guess I wasn't clear. I understand the prop hub. My concern is the lower unit is fixed with power trim and tilt, and does not have a safety disconnect. My old Mercurys would "release" when in forward gear, allowing the lower unit to raise up when you jump levees like this:

6. Tuleman

I see what you're after.

7. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

There is a impact check valve built into all trim systems,so it will kick up if you hit something hard. Not like one without power trim but it will kick up. If they didn't have these it would rip the transoms off of boats.

8. Tuleman

Good to know, perf. Thanks.

9. Duramacr'

Duramacr' New Member

I know this is an old thread , but I finally ordered a 2018 30hp tohatsu fourstroke. Ordered it as a long shaft because I plan on getting a better boat. But it’s going on a 1542 tracker as of right now with a jackplate. Ordered it with a 13pitch prop. Hopefully it will run 40mph with me in it and 38mph with 2 guys . My 2015 Mercury 20hp fourstroke was pushing that boat 29.5 with me alone and hear and 28 with me and a passenger . With 3 heavy guys 200lbs+, cooler , gear, rods, it was pushing it 25-26. Best prop for this setup was an 11pitch solas Saturn which ran at 6150 by myself and 5600 with 3 heavy guys. Usually when it’s just 2 guys it’s runs right at 5900-6000. Can’t wait to see what that 3 cylinder tohatsu will do. Hopefully I’ll pick up 10mph by myself and be able to run 37-38 with a load .

I’ll let you guys know once I test it . I called Danny almost a year ago on what motor to get and I took his advice , but went with a 30hp cuz I plan on getting a better boat . Thanks Danny. I’ll post the speeds once I get it .