New 4 Stroke for the War Eagle

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by 1bigduck, Feb 22, 2018.

1. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

So I am looking to replace the 2 stroke Yamaha 50 hp with a new 4 stroke, probably the 60 HP since my 18' is rate for up to 60. Just tired of issues starting the 2 stroke. The marina I am dealing with doesn't for see any issues with the heavier motor. Anyone have a 60 hp 4 stroke on a 18' war eagle? Any issues with porpoising or getting on plane? Anything else I should worry about?

2. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

No idea of your application but I would think you would be better of with another 2S that starts when needed. Much less weight and allows you to get into shallow water where the ducks are .

3. por boy

por boy Senior Refuge Member

2s is the only to go.
    I had two 4s dogs to say the least.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The weight may not be that big of factor on an 18 foot boat. Smarter people

A 60HP Yamaha is 247 pounds (add some weight for tiller
    A 60HP E-Tec is 250 with tiller
    Suzuki DF60A is 229

5. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Ok , my little 30 only weights around 100 lbs and it pushes my 18' loaded really well.

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Have a Yamaha f60 on my 860ldsv. Been good for me hunting, fishing and grabbing. Never had a problem getting on plane. Top end mid thirties depending on weight in boat. Was going to get bigger but cautioned by others for weight concerns in shallow water. Hard enough to pull boat off mud bank when tide runs out. Wish my yammy was fuel injected fir better cold starts. O ce started and warmed up it will start up right away but has always been a little slow on cold first starts.

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

What makes your motor so hard to start?

Mine (Yam 40 2stroke 03 vintage) has been through hell and back a few times and rebuilt once(new pistons and rings) (my own fault)with carb cleaning and adjustment twice.

But it normally starts like a champ if it has reasonably fresh gas.

I would figure out why its hard to start or it could be Your fault and if so, then it will become an issue on the next motor as well.

8. River Duck

River Duck Refuge Member

I have a 70 horse 4 stroke Yamaha on a 1754 ldsv. Been nothing but satisfied with it. I'm thinking the weight difference from the 60 to the 70 is not much. The 70 doesn't set the boat in the water too deep and will flat out come up on plane no problem. Tops out right at 40 mph.

My advice is do it. You won't be disappointed!

9. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Not the same application, but I have an F60 on a G3 1652 with a jack plate. Yeah it squats a little, but I think you'd be fine on your boat. Always go max hp when possible, like most say, you never hear people bitch about having too much power. Performance on planing, speed or porpoising, a lot depends on your prop setup.

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I concur, the Yammie F70 is only about 8 lbs heavier. I have one on my bigger boat (25'10"). I can push 3500 lbs through the water over 20mph, which is pretty good for that load and size.