New AvianX & DSD turkey decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Wastinshells, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

True, and Ive seen a lot of birds hang up at 60 and stare at the decoys. Then I borrowed a buddies avian and had the same birds all over the decoys. Probably just a wrong time wrong day deal though. I hate turkeys :doh

But I secretly love hunting them. :yes

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

DSD's have been by far the most realistic I have seen... The Avain's are a close second, and I am looking through the catalog and seeing decoys that look darned good for $40... Unfortunately, I have more often been disappointed when comparing the actual decoy to the picture in the catalog.

That being said, I think turkeys are a lot like ducks... Heavily pressured birds require more drastic methods... The more calling they have heard, the better your calling needs to be, and the more decoys they have seen the more realistic the spread needs to be not to scare them off...

Low-pressured birds will run right to the old Flambeau foam decoys... High-pressured birds will see those same decoys and run the other direction...

The areas I hunt, I do not use the decoys to attract the birds (steep terrain with thick cover)... I do use the decoys to position birds in front of me when they do come into range though. That bird that comes in behind me, will often walk in front of me to check out that decoy....

3. Ben

Ben Elite Refuge Member

Why do the Avian X's have feathers that look like scales on the back of an alligator???

4. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

personally l think the DSD craze is just that. have seen too many birds killed with no decoys and old foam impressionistic decoys to think l need a $200 decoy, but each to his own. I actually still use a foam jake if l ever use a jake, and they still work for me. I am anxious though to actually get in my hands a hunters specialty knock off go the avian jake, as it certainly looks very very close to the avian and is a fraction of the cost.

5. Wastinshells

I know right? what are these turkeys thinking??!?!?1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wastinshells

I use decoys to bring the birds in close to my bow. I need em close cause im a bad shot! Im normally fooling hens most of the time and have been way-laid by crappy decoys too many times.

Those HS decoys you were talking about for others reference.

[​IMG]

7. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

I like the fact that the DSD are american made. Anyone know where the Avian-x are made?

8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

DSD's look like turkeys, the other brand looks like a decoy.

9. Ben

Ben Elite Refuge Member

You must be blind, because a turkey doesnt have raised scale like feathers.

10. Wastinshells

Not blind. I'm also able to understand the concept behind adding dimension to the feathers for the purpose of creating detail. But feel free to continue to be small minded.

I never intended this thread to say Avians were unquestionably better than the DSDs, merely to show the new decoys off of both brands.

It is apparent that the DSD guys get really really butthurt really fast though.