New Backwater lite 35/37 HP motors

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Glades Ranger, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

These are longtail motors. They have eliminated the U-joint, and are a larger diameter shaft, and use a hex hub prop (no threads). Initial reviews are very good! The BW website is not yet updated but you can certainly inquire. I am just a satisfied customer and wanted to pass on this info for any potential future buyers. IMO BW is one of the best longtail platforms out there and this modification is a good one.

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I'm getting a swomp lite 23 glider kit very soon (mid-oct). Would gave ordered it already but some unexpected house expenses shot my fun budget all to hell this summer...Jake at BW has been great answering all my questions. They do seem to have the best longtail out there...especially at their price point -and they get very high marks for excellent customer service from everyone I've talked to.

3. Glades Ranger

I agree! I have owned GoDevil, MudBuddy longtails before, and they were good, but BW is noticeably better. I had my 26.5 efi swomp 59" drive shipped down here to Florida and it was a positive experience- every time I asked or emailed Jake, I got a quick response. The price was also a bit better than the competition. Unlike my previous longtails, a lot less need to grease the shaft, and a lot less strain to drive and steer. I was a bit skeptical about the EFI but it has been great so far. I notice quite a few LT's up in the Midwest- Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and obviously they do well in cold weather. I thought about a surface drive but the usually shallow conditions and hard bottom make the longtail a viable medium for ducking.

4. warrenwaterfowler

Glad to hear it. I can't wait to get mine ordered and out on the water! No EFI here...using a 670cc predator that's on my Thai Kit...so far the predator engines have worked very well for me. I started with the 420cc and it was great, but I felt a little underpowered with a hunting load in my 1542 with it. It now lives on my friend's kid's go cart and that thing goes crazy fast

5. warrenwaterfowler

Hey Glades Runner....from what I can gather from some of your other posts, you're running your SWOMP LITE on a mod v hull. Correct?
    I have a 1542 mod v landau with pods 20170830_225546.jpg 20170422_194537.jpg IMG_20160802_210909.jpg that i'll be running one on. How has your mod v performed with the BW? Any drawbacks or issues you had to deal with getting it "dialed in"? Just wondered. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

6. Glades Ranger

Mine is a "regular" swomp 59" drive on a short transom 2004 1648 grizzly. The hull is ok mostly flat MV front, a compromise with an LT but it gets the job done. Jake at BW suggested I use their versa-mount, which allows more adjustment, and I put it "inboard" as he said, moving the motor in a couple more inches, and this way out of the disturbed "whitewater" coming from the back of the hull. Each hull is different, I put the motor on the forward most bearing hole because I wanted to make it easier to push down and lift the prop when needed and also this way the motor stays forward when I have it in "neutral" and I don't need to tie it down necessarily. Right now with the 9x7 prop, the Kohler 26.5 efi gets me 19.7 mph with just me and hunting gear; the 9x6 prop a bit over 20 mph but the 9x7 has a bit better push in the weeds and mud.

7. warrenwaterfowler

Ok thanks. I thought you ran a LITE...but still good info to know. The top of my transom is at a weird angle and i think the versa mount will be advantageous.